Has Anyone Ever Heard Of This Fossil?

RJB

Hey all. I found some fossils in a very tiny fossil site along the Waipara River in New Zealand. The name of the fossil is 'Waiparaconus zelandicus' and is cretaceous in age. Thats about all I can say about it. Well that, and that it looks very much like a fossilized asparagus!!! Im told that it is rather rare, and that I may be the only collector in the untied states that has one? Maybe I can corner the market on fossilized asparagus? Heh,,,heh,,, I will try to go through one of the boxes have and find one that mother nature cleaned up purty good and take a photo of it for you folks to see what they look like.

RB

Hey all. I found some fossils in a very tiny fossil site along the Waipara River in New Zealand. The name of the fossil is 'Waiparaconus zelandicus' and is cretaceous in age. Thats about all I can say about it. Well that, and that it looks very much like a fossilized asparagus!!! Im told that it is rather rare, and that I may be the only collector in the untied states that has one? Maybe I can corner the market on fossilized asparagus? Heh,,,heh,,, I will try to go through one of the boxes have and find one that mother nature cleaned up purty good and take a photo of it for you folks to see what they look like.

RB

Hey Super, put photos please :) I'm a lover and eater of wild asparagus, when not find fossils I look for asparagus ;)

Photos please

Hey Super, put photos please :) I'm a lover and eater of wild asparagus, when not find fossils I look for asparagus ;)

Photos please

I too look for asparagus xD

photos, photos, photos! ^_^

Here's a link to some info:

http://www.teara.govt.nz/EarthSeaAndSky/Ge...Standard/4/2/en

Enigmatic, to say the least; there is little agreement on what phylum it belongs to!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Good one Paleoron. I laughed outloud about the steak and potatos thing. But hey, I actually did what I said I was going to do. I dug out a couple pieces of rock with these things on them. Im not the best photographer, so please bear with me. Here ya goes.

RB

post-171-1228074545_thumb.jpg

post-171-1228074604_thumb.jpg

post-171-1228074656_thumb.jpg

post-171-1228074724_thumb.jpg

Very cool!

There is some thought that they are trace fossils from annelid worms, but the visible segmenting is hard to reconcile with that idea.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Very cool!

There is some thought that they are trace fossils from annelid worms, but the visible segmenting is hard to reconcile with that idea.

Hey Auspex dude a roo, I would have to agree that those arnt annelid worm trace fossils. What I do know is that I now have this particular corner of the fossil maket cornered and I will now sell these for $4379.27!!! Ha!! Where in the hell did that price come from? If I was any funnier I would be on TV.

RB

Hey Auspex dude a roo, I would have to agree that those arnt annelid worm trace fossils. What I do know is that I now have this particular corner of the fossil maket cornered and I will now sell these for $4379.27!!! Ha!! Where in the hell did that price come from? If I was any funnier I would be on TV.

RB

If they were bird necks, the check would already be in the mail! ;)

If they were bird necks, the check would already be in the mail! ;)

Jeesh Auspex. You just reminded me... When I was in this guys garage with all the crab fossils, and being sooooo damed excited, I had forgotten to take a picture of the fossil penguin this guy had! He also had a fossil rock, (huge rock) with a baby plesiasaur, not sure how to spell that, but the bird had no head or feet, but it appeard to have everything else. Now I wish I would have take more photos. Dam! Sorry man.

RB

Jeesh Auspex. You just reminded me... When I was in this guys garage with all the crab fossils, and being sooooo damed excited, I had forgotten to take a picture of the fossil penguin this guy had! He also had a fossil rock, (huge rock) with a baby plesiasaur, not sure how to spell that, but the bird had no head or feet, but it appeard to have everything else. Now I wish I would have take more photos. Dam! Sorry man.

RB

No worries Mate; if I'd been in that garage when he started opening drawers, I'd have forgotten to breath!

I agree it doesn't look like a trace fossil. Whatever it is it should look good by the time you get done with it RB.

i like the barnacle stalks theory. i don't like the trace fossil theory. fossils shouldn't be named after me, in theory.

cool weirdnesses.

i like the barnacle stalks theory....

I read the barnacle stalks theory, and my first thought was "where are the barnacles?".

ok, wait, i've got a better explanation. they were barnacles that were fixed in their younger lives and then flew the coop and lived without stalks as they matured. like you find all those cicada shells and empty cocoons, and crinoid columnal segments without calyxes. besides, i've never even BEEN to new zealand, so how would i know where the floating barnacles went?

Archived