Double Prisci Plate

bone digger

Well I finally got around to starting my double Prisci plate a couple weeks ago. The first fish is done now, I think it took around 25-30 hours of prep, but who knows, time just flies by when I'm working on fossils. I would say it turned out the best out of all the fish I've prepped so far, almost perfect :D This plate was a little farther down in the 18" layer than some of the others I found so the rock and fish are in much better shape. I'll post more pics as I get the other one prepped out.

World-class, BD!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A very excellent fish Mr Prisci King!!! It now reminds me that ive got several priscis to prep too, not counting all the other fish. Makes me want to go to the quarry again and get more. That plate is going to be quite nice for display once you get the other one finished. keep up the good work fella.

RB

A very excellent fish Mr Prisci King!!! It now reminds me that ive got several priscis to prep too, not counting all the other fish. Makes me want to go to the quarry again and get more. That plate is going to be quite nice for display once you get the other one finished. keep up the good work fella.

RB

I know what ya mean, I am already itching to go back again. Maybe next time we'll make it to his warehouse, that would be cool to see! I really want to get a nice Phareodus :D

I got started on the 2nd Prisci tonight. The pic is not great but that is the head that I'm working on, also his mouth is closed which is kinda different. The first one is 5" long, I think this guy will be around 4 1/2" when done.

I know what ya mean, I am already itching to go back again. Maybe next time we'll make it to his warehouse, that would be cool to see! I really want to get a nice Phareodus :D

Hey BD. Do you remember that fish plate sittin on my tailgate when you and Coelton said that it has teeth? I thought it was a diplo, but I also didnt have my glasses on, but when I put them on, I could see that it indeed had teeth and was a small phareodus. Well, thats all there was of that critter. Just the head and a small part of the body and the rest was simply gone! Dang!!! The good thing is that I still have the bigger one to prep. Ive still got to get it glued onto a piece of fiber board first though, and second, I have to find the time.

RB

Hey BD. Do you remember that fish plate sittin on my tailgate when you and Coelton said that it has teeth? I thought it was a diplo, but I also didnt have my glasses on, but when I put them on, I could see that it indeed had teeth and was a small phareodus. Well, thats all there was of that critter. Just the head and a small part of the body and the rest was simply gone! Dang!!! The good thing is that I still have the bigger one to prep. Ive still got to get it glued onto a piece of fiber board first though, and second, I have to find the time.

RB

oh no, your kidding! That really sucks, you were so exicted about that one, darn fossils anyways eh! I think after this double prisci plate I'm going to start working on the big one with the saw cut in it. I still need to square up the plate on it though.

Ok, that is IT! I am going back to WY in the summer.

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

Well I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the 2nd prisci so far. I new his top spikes had a bad comb-over but I didn't realize all his fins would be tucked into his body so bad! I just hope his tail has a little shape to it or it will just look like a blob! Anyways I think I'm going to make a frame for it tommorow and should have the fish finished by sunday. I had an idea and am not sure if I should try it or not so I want to know what everyone thinks! I think the plate is a little bare looking so I was thinking of putting some long wavy "sea grass" on it by darkening the suface with vinac. I could just put it on the surface or I could carve the grass in and then darken the carved area. If I just put it on the surface I may be able to take it off with acetone if I don't like it. If I carve it in it may look better but it's also kinda permanent if it doesn't work out. Hopefully you can picture what I'm trying to say and any thoughts would be great!

The following comment is my personal opinion, and is not intended in any way to be a criticism of your idea (it's your fossil, and you have slaved over it).

I like the austerity of fish skeletons in cold, hard rock; it is ironic. (Adding aquarium elements turns it into a pun).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Nicholas
The following comment is my personal opinion, and is not intended in any way to be a criticism of your idea (it's your fossil, and you have slaved over it).

I like the austerity of fish skeletons in cold, hard rock; it is ironic. (Adding aquarium elements turns it into a pun).

Austerity GREAT WORD, haven't used it in a while.

I must agree, I feel the same way about plant fossils, so green and full of life and now so dark and dead.

Thats what I want, peoples honest opinions and thoughts. It's just an idea, and I don't know if it's a good one! Thanks for your reply :)

well I prepped till midnight last night and got the 2nd fish done! The quality of preservation is excellent but he does look a little silly with all his fins tucked in! I built a frame today and they are now hanging in my trophy room! :D

well I prepped till midnight last night and got the 2nd fish done! The quality of preservation is excellent but he does look a little silly with all his fins tucked in! I built a frame today and they are now hanging in my trophy room! :D

They turned out really good!! I love the way you displayed them, they are a work of art. Very nice job!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what I want, peoples honest opinions and thoughts. It's just an idea, and I don't know if it's a good one! Thanks for your reply :)

Hey Dude, Here is my oppinion: If you ruin the integrity of that rock by carving sea grass into it, Im going to personaly come up there and kick your no good for nothing arss, then hang you up to dry and throw poisoness darts at you, then drag you behind my horse through all the cow maneur, and then through a patch of cacti!!! Hows that for an opinion? Heh,,,heh,,,

RB