Lucky To Find A New Insect Locality

PRK

In the summer of 1972 It took many days to dig my pit at Florissant. Even though I love fossil insects from florissant, I haven't been back

This is because at the end of the 1980s I ran across a different insect locality, hundreds of miles closer.

I collected this new locality a couple times a summer for several years in the '90s, amassing a large wonderful collection of flora and fauna.

Below is a great example of the flora and fauna.

A leaf, Insect, and fish scale. On one plate

post-9950-0-15920200-1373399868_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

Captivating! And how satisfying, that you found the site!

Very nice!!! Is that a mantis?

Hard to say without a scale, but I took it to be along the lines of a cricket or something.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You have been blessed by the fossil gods in your time. They have only seen fit to reveal them to me in dribs and drabs, relatively speaking...

Hey Paul, those are really neat associated finds...sounds like one of those fantastic places like Inyo mentioned in another thread.

You have been blessed by the fossil gods in your time. They have only seen fit to reveal them to me in dribs and drabs, relatively speaking...

I got a chuckle here, I think I fall into the drib and drab category as well for the original finds...I have been very fortunate to have bolstered that alot over the years with trades, gifts and purchases to make up for the lack of luck and showy keepers... the more you get out though certainly ups the odds! Regards, Chris

Ya know, it's odd but the more I get out (a LOT), the "luckier" I get.

As I've said before --- since I can't afford to buy it, if I see something I like, I figger out how to collect (dig) it. Ive given away a lot, and I've got plenty !

Edited by PRK

Hey Paul, those are really neat associated finds...sounds like one of those fantastic places like Inyo mentioned in another thread.

I got a chuckle here, I think I fall into the drib and drab category as well for the original finds...I have been very fortunate to have bolstered that alot over the years with trades, gifts and purchases to make up for the lack of luck and showy keepers... the more you get out though certainly ups the odds! Regards, Chris

Yes, I could stand to get out there more often, I shouldn't complain as my local hill is productive enough that I can come home with something interesting every time, I just need to get out there and to other sites more often. But I think, in general, all the good sites that are yet to be discovered and picked clean :wacko: are fewer than in the 'glory days'.

Ya know, it's odd but the more I get out (a LOT), the luckier I get.

As I've said before --- since I can't afford to buy it, if I see something I like, I figger out how to collect (dig) it. And I've got plenty !

You've obviously got the luck or the nose for finding these sites and the wherewithal to get to them and collect often enough that you have lots of goodies to show for it! Can't say I'm the same way...

OH, and BTW, ALL the insects I show on this thread, are all from my new collecting site. Not from Florissant !

post-9950-0-30541100-1403494187_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

PRK,

Wow! Amazing preservation. How old is this?

Bottom specimen looks like a crane fly (Tipulidae).

I'm guessing these are lake sediments?

I wonder if you will find any midges....

Love to see more!

Top one kinda looks like a nymph - juvenile stage of something like a damselfly.

I just checked out the site : Insect Fossils From The Middle Miocene Barstow Formation, California

And my jaw dropped.

Incredible!! Amazing detail in those fossil insects and in three dimensions. If you showed me some of the photos without telling me how old the fossils are I would have thought they were from recent insects.

Hard to tell what the bottom image (plate and counter plate) is since there aren't enough diagnostic features. You have a couple of legs with spines and (I am using a bit of imagination here) what could be the "tails" from some sort of nymph (damselfly mayfly) at the bottom. I looked up some images of mayfly nymphs and some have spines on the legs like your specimen.

That crane fly is incredible so much detail.

That cranefly is incredible! You know you've got a great fossil when there is instant recognition. (I guess good preservation plus unfamiliar is even better)

Ditto for those Barstow Fm items, Inyo! Never seen or heard of those before.

Keep them coming, Paul.

Edited by Wrangellian

Paul, that cranefly is a super nice specimen! I saw that dang dragonfly find of yours also in another thread somewhere also...mighty nice! I dont know-- a dragonfly would would give me a rush, how does finding that rank in terms of the most interesting finds that what you've found personally? Is the San Pedro whale at the top of the list???

Yep, anyone who hasn't yet investigated Inyo's many other webpages need to spend some time doing so....he has a wealth of finds and info and other good stuff!

Regards, Chris

It looks like that crane fly could fly away from that rock! What amazing preservation!

Gabe

I like crinoids......

Hi Paul,

Your crane fly is genus Tipula. The legs in the first image are hind femurs and tibiae from a grasshopper (Acrididae). Nice specimens!

• I found this Informative 1

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Right on John, you scored a direct hit on the nail head.

I've posted this pic previously somewhere on the forum, but its a cool comparative specimen. Especially on this thread. Coincidently, I picked the recent specimen out of a car radiator on my return trip from collecting this very fossil

post-9950-0-77954100-1373649618_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

Hey Paul, another real beauty, the radiator find is sweet as well. I used to look at the radiator as a kid for things and havent done that in quite awhile-thinking about it aside from some occasional damage they would be whole lot easier to photograph than my way of chasing them around the backyard! I must be getting old and forgetting some early lessons! Are those some type of Robber fly?

Regards, Chris

I was saddened when my beloved Florissant insects were given away however it was to science. And soo pleased to find this NEW site almost 20yrs later.

post-9950-0-57027400-1373934868_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

I was saddened when my beloved Florissant insects were given away however it was to science. And soo pleased to find this NEW site almost 20yrs later

It's your good karma! You have some fantastic finds!

Welcome to the forum!

• 3 weeks later...

My vote is for some planty thing. I'm hoping some plant here folks will know for sure though.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

OK, I'm confused...

If this question:

If one is a dragonfly wing (corduligastridae). what is the other?

is eliciting this answer:

My vote is for some planty thing. I'm hoping some plant here folks will know for sure though.

I am lost... :wacko:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!