Visiting Santa Cruz, Ca - Any Fossil Hunting There?

Chippewa

I occasionally visit family in Santa Cruz, CA. Wondering if forum members live there and could point me in the general direction for some fossil hunting. Wondering if the San Lorenzo River has any seabed fossils?

I can return the favor if you are heading in my direction (Northeast Florida) someday.

Thanks,

Chippewa

Go to Capitola.....as you face the ocean to the left are cliffs and debris filled with shells, crab parts, mammal bones and the occasional Great white. Go at low tide and do not dig in the cliffs. Also bean creek road in Scotts valley has a road cut filled with sand dollars. I have not been to either location in a couple years. Go to my site www.fossilsforkids.com click on x marks the spot and the Place I ike to dig for info on those areas.

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Make sure you definitely check the tides when going to Capitola. If you go to Capitola bring lots of heavy tools like a sledgehammer and crowbar. I tried freeing a bone last time with a hammer and I barely made a chip in the stone.

It's actually better if you leave bones in concretions alone at Capitola. It takes a lot of 'firepower' to get them out, and I've seen people needlessly damage bones that have been sitting in blocks on the beach for decades, all in a vain attempt to get it out with hammer and chisel. In reality, it would require an entire afternoon with a rock drill and masonry saw to properly remove bones from the concretions at Capitola.

Completely agree with Bobby. Know need tyo bust up the big rocks for bones. You can find verts freely lying around or break up the smaller concretions for nice suprises.

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!