Do You Know What It Is ?

Sélacien34

Those bones came from the miocene of the southern of France. that makes me think of broken femoral or humerus heads of marine mammals. But maybe i'm wrong. What do you think about it ?

post-11962-0-97648100-1373562878_thumb.jpg

post-11962-0-42982200-1373562895_thumb.jpg

post-11962-0-94557300-1373562970_thumb.jpg

post-11962-0-75352700-1373562978_thumb.jpg

post-11962-0-15722900-1373563332_thumb.jpg

post-11962-0-24350400-1373564128_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sélacien34

Hello Carl, thank you for your message, but are we talking about the same things ? The first five pictures and the last one are the bones that i would like to identify. The other pictures are recognizable cetacean and seal humeri that i put here for comparaison. I think that's what you have recognized isn't it ? That's what you have named as mushroom but what about the rest ? (Sorry for my poor english !)

Edited by Sélacien34

I removed the recognizable mammals bones and i only let the mysterious ones, then it's more clear. Those strange rounded bones are often found in our miocene's formation and i think that noone knows what it is around me.

Edited by Sélacien34

Yeah - it looks like I misunderstood. I can't ID the non-mushroom-looking specimens.

Hello Carl, thank you for your message, but are we talking about the same things ? The first five pictures and the last one are the bones that i would like to identify. The other pictures are recognizable cetacean and seal humeri that i put here for comparaison. I think that's what you have recognized isn't it ? That's what you have named as mushroom but what about the rest ? (Sorry for my poor english !)

No problem, thank you for trying. Nobody can ID those bones by now in France, holland and neither in the USA. Affaire à suivre...

This is a real stab in the dark but on the outer surface it is strange appearing

and reminds me of the surface of sea robins ( fish).. The exterior I am talking about the third image in Post 6 (the dark one).

The surface reminds me of a skull plate a bit. I don't hunt your age of fossils so I can't be helpful..

Sea robins seem to have that odd appearing surface also but the shape is wrong..

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/17042-baby-alligator-head/?p=188977 that is the surface of the sea robin..

Some of the others almost remind me of a part of a shoulder girdle (Post 7).. Do you find fish fossils along with the ones pictured?

Welcome to the forum!

Hello, thank you very much for your answer. From what I know and what I have found there, vertebrae of bony and cartilaginous fishes are found, teeth or pieces of dental palace of many species including sharks, rays, Sphyraenidae, Sparidae and Dentex fossilis, Pycnodontidae, Merluccinae, Labridae and also crocodilian teeth in the upper layers. But nothing we can associate with these big pieces by now.

Edited by Sélacien34

Well the shape is matching but that would make one very large fish.. I am thinking a part of a

skull though.. I am going to PM you an email address of someone who might know..

Anyone else have any ideas?

Welcome to the forum!