Nannohippus ?

megaholic

I have Hulbert's book, and I try so hard to ID these horse teeth on my own, but after a while they all start to make me think that every tooth in Fla is Equus. Finally found one that even I can see is different. BUT, now these all look the same! I can see the nearly isolated protocone, but there are still too many possibilities for me. Anybody see something I don't?

It's from the Peace River.

post-5963-0-38415000-1373752926_thumb.jpg

This is a very small cheek tooth 2cm X 2cm

post-5963-0-58429800-1373752941_thumb.jpg

Only 1cm in height.

post-5963-0-55183100-1373752961_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking.

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

You talk as though you are speaking of one tooth which is different - but you have at least two different teeth there. Which tooth are you talking about?

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

You talk as though you are speaking of one tooth which is different - but you have at least two different teeth there. Which tooth are you talking about?

Looks like multiple pictures of one tooth to me...

Rich, it is just a different angle of same.

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

Foreshortening is extreme, then. Protocone is long and slender in one, short and almost oval in the other - angle makes a difference!

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

I think it's equus

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

I agree it's equus. The protocone isn't fully isolated and the size, although fairly small is too big for a 3 toed.

The protocone doesn't need to be isolated to be from something other than Equus . . . Calippus is one example.

post-42-0-66192900-1373827218_thumb.jpg

Nonetheless, I agree that megaholic's tooth is probably Equus sp. It is on the small side, but not too small.

post-42-0-49965800-1373827288_thumb.jpg post-42-0-34886200-1373827354_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Archived