Green River Fish Plate And Mystery Fossil

ottawafossil101

Hello,

I have a question that might only be able to be answered by speculation.

I recently acquired a Green River, Wyoming fish plate (knightia) which is pictured below. It is an awesome piece and it seems like i'm always noticing something new.

f85e5e265434366.jpg

320918265434513.jpg

When I got it, i noticed there was a bulging area on the 'backside' of this plate that had been chipped away to reveal what looks like a fossil. The layer revealed is the same color as the knightia fish and has a unique texture. The bulge raises above its surroundings approximately 5-7mm and the overall diameter of the area is about 4-5 inches.

4d8ca7265434646.jpg

4f012a265434836.jpg

Does anyone have any insight into what this might be? A flat, circular dome shaped fossil. The only thing that looks likely from what i see online is maybe the lateral portion of a stingray. A guy can hope right? What do you think?

Any info or help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Nice plate of sardines! :D Maybe fish poop on the back?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Herb,

I agree that it could be fish poop (coprolite). Coprolites in the Green River Formation are found in a variety of shapes and sizes (even several inches long) and can be relatively uncompressed (more of a 3D preservation that you would expect of poop)..

Jess

Nice plate of sardines! :D Maybe fish poop on the back?

I'll 3rd that. Definitely a coprolite. They are extremely common in the Green River Fm. Awesome fish plate!

Gabe

I like crinoids......

Here are some Green River coprolites I have collected for comparison and preview.

The first photo is crocodile coprolite they are quite obvious, but sometimes you can see disruption in the limestone for many layers.

post-1148-0-66251400-1373866018_thumb.png

This photo is of several different sizes of coprolites from fish.

post-1148-0-44228100-1373866429_thumb.jpg

Many people think they found a snake, but no it is another coprolite.

post-1148-0-48160100-1373866521_thumb.png

Jim

Old Dead Things

Shoot, now I can't argue with the wife when she says that all i buy is snarge! Lol. Thanks for the info guys!