Could Be An Egg.......

mickiver

I wonder why he hasn't done a scratch test?

Maybe he went on vacation....

I have a day job that keeps me occupied with more important things. I haven't done a scratch test because it couldn't add much to the conversation except to drive conjecture on the finer art of field hardness testing.

"The hardness or rocks and minerals is also dependent on the degree of weathering. Weathering may convert feldspars (H=6) to clay minerals (H = 2 -3) Even corundum (H=9) can alter and have rims of softer minerals such as margarite (H= 3.5-4.5 ) around it. This is why it is important to test as fresh or unweathered a surface as you can while doing hardness tests."

A bigger question is what to do with the darn thing now. Cut it in half, or put it in a rock polisher, or take it to the Denver rock and gem show in September, or ????????

You are taking what is basically a simple test that takes 5 seconds or less, and making it complex. I find that unusual in here, as you have an audience - some people who for many intents and purposes - are experts who are willing to use that bit of information to help come up with answers.

It's your material, so you can do - or not do with it what you want.

P.S. Many of us in here also have "day jobs."

Good luck!

Edited by Roadrunner

You are taking what is basically a simple test that takes 5 seconds or less, and making it complex. I find that unusual in here, as you have an audience - some people who for many intents and purposes - are experts who are willing to use that bit of information to help come up with answers.

It's your material, so you can do - or not do with it what you want.

P.S. Many of us in here also have "day jobs."

Good luck!

Roadrunner,......... give him a break and RESPECT , he had no idea that posting that rock, would be a never ending post and a second job.

This is a very interesting post and have to say at least created a lot of interest, which is good. Me, I place my vote on a stream tumbled Moqui marble, but we will have to wait and see----Tom

post-3940-0-52157500-1374927580_thumb.jpg

post-3940-0-65138000-1374928225_thumb.jpg

Edited by Foshunter
  • I found this Informative 1

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

This is a very interesting post and has to say the least created a lot of interest, which is good. Me, I place my vote on a stream tumbled Moqui marble, but we will have to wait and see----Tom

I doubt you wil ever find out.. to many ????????

Roadrunner,......... give him a break and RESPECT , he had no idea that posting that rock, would be a never ending post and a second job.

No disrespect intended, and I'm sorry if it sounded that way. I said that I don't understand.

Big difference.

Edited by Roadrunner