Crinoid Bulb

Okie

I think this is a Crinoid bulb found in Oklahoma. One photo shows the outside and one photo shows the object cut into halves. Do you agree it is a Crinoid bulb?post-12547-0-12255500-1374037617_thumb.jpgpost-12547-0-69417700-1374037695_thumb.jpg

I'm a total novice so please excuse me. I'm told by several area people (not professionals) that it was a Crinoid bulb and they pointed out the spot where the 'stem' was connected...that nipple place shown in one of the pics. I'm also told they are a fairly common find for the area (Oklahoma counties of Murray, Carter, Johnston, Pontotoc). jgcox, are you SURE it isn't a Crinoid bulb?

Anyway this geode is outstanding :)

Agreed. Very nice

Seeing it reminds me of a story surrounding my first geode find. My wife (girlfriend at the time) were collecting in some rocks near Apache Oklahoma. I found this very strange and interesting perfectly round rock. I know now it is a geode. At the time I thought it would be really cool to see how far I could throw it. So I did throw it way out across the exposure never to be seen again.

That was about 28 years ago. My wife still reminds me of the day I threw away a perfectly good geode. They never forget.

Thanks for posting this and bring back that memory!

• I found this Informative 1

For what it is worth, I had a professor at a University tell me that my son had found a dinosaur gizzard stone and that they were fairly common around here--25 years ago.

NOW it is seen as nothing but a common concretion.

So what was accepted knowledge by the locals, may not be the whole story.

Bev :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

That is an outstanding geode! Absolutely gorgeous. It almost looks like those small agate slices that are for sale in rock shops. Nice find!

Gabe

I like crinoids......

Is that piece for sure from OK, and can you tell me where more specifically? I have a few geodes very close to those in appearance, so probably from the same area but I don't know where that would be. (In my experience rockhounds trade rocks far and wide but rarely does the location of origin come with!)

Over decades, my brother has just picked up rocks that he has found unusual/interesting and this is one of them. He doesn't remember where he got most of them. Most of them came from his property on the outskirts of the Arbuckle Mountains in Murray Co., Oklahoma, or while fishing at Lake Murray in Carter Co., Lake Texoma, the Red River, Lake Broken Bow. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Yes, it was cut in half. The pictures are of the same single stone. My brother cut it in half and I don't know how much polishing was done to it, if any.

Nice geode.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

For what it is worth, I had a professor at a University tell me that my son had found a dinosaur gizzard stone and that they were fairly common around here--25 years ago.

NOW it is seen as nothing but a common concretion.

So what was accepted knowledge by the locals, may not be the whole story.

Bev :)

A friend recently told me that the History Channel was reporting that dinosaurs had been found in Indiana? Really?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks