Horseshoe Nail

Napoleon North

How old could be the nail? Found near Wawel Castle in Krakow (1).

I ask you this first. Both are probably used in horse shoes.

post-1513-0-42106900-1374172387_thumb.jpg

post-1513-0-33680700-1374172419_thumb.jpg

post-1513-0-56213200-1374172428_thumb.jpg

post-1513-0-76824900-1374172437_thumb.jpg

I think these spikes are far too large to have been horseshoe nails. They were probably for carpentry.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It's a tried and trusted design which hasn't changed much through the ages, so I don't think you could say much more than "probably no older than the castle" (14th Century) and likely somewhat later. Nailed iron shoes appeared sometime in the 800's AD but weren't really produced in large quantities until the 13th Century onwards. From around then, you could buy "ready-made" shoes.

I don't think the size is excessive for an early nail. Construction nails most usually had a rounded head. One or two "clenches" on a square head is a good sign for horseshoe nails.

Edited by painshill

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

I think these spikes are far too large to have been horseshoe nails. They were probably for carpentry.

Ok

the number two is contemporary. And the first one found near the castle, is likely to be hand-made.

Pictured below the greater of 3 cm is found near the castle.

post-1513-0-52842400-1374173853_thumb.jpg

Edited by Napoleon North

Square cut nails were the norm up to the industrial age. Square cut is more efficient but because it is harder to produce with modern methods so fell out of favor. We find them all the time around Civil War battlefields.

Square cut nails were the norm up to the industrial age. Square cut is more efficient but because it is harder to produce with modern methods so fell out of favor. We find them all the time around Civil War battlefields.

Yes, but Napoleon is in the vicinity of a mediaeval castle in Poland! That doesn't mean his finds are as old as that but what he's picturing are not "cut-nails". Those have been forged or cast and have the very typical steeply tapered shank leading to the flat head seen in early European horseshoes. Like this one (and they aren't much different in shape today):

post-6208-0-89462200-1374179014_thumb.jpg

[pic by Bob MacInnes]

Edited by painshill

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]