Mystery Plant Or Animal

Okie

Can anyone identify this mystery piece? Plant? Animal? Found on the outskirts of the Arbuckle Mountains, Murray Co., Oklahoma.

post-12547-0-82369900-1374208138_thumb.jpg

post-12547-0-91649200-1374208161_thumb.jpg

post-12547-0-49062500-1374208190_thumb.jpg

post-12547-0-66321900-1374208212_thumb.jpg

Do me a favor and add this photo to your other post of Arbuckle Mtn segmented thingie for comparison. Thanks, John

I managed to edit a post and add two of these pics for comparison, John. Because of size limit, I couldn't add all four of them. Hope that's what you wanted....?

Showing these items (at least those from essentially the same strata) all in one place could help understand them better.

I'm a little embarrassed that they're proving to be hard to come to consensus on.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 3 weeks later...

Could this be a Crinoid stalk or whatever they're called? Crinoidea fossils are found in this area. Just a wild guess after viewing an Oklahoma Fossil website (Sam Noble Natural History Museum).

As a very tentative suggestion, given the state of the specimen and the difficulty of interpreting the photos, I'll mention the possibility of an eroded fragment of a straight-shelled nautiloid. Photo #4 can be interpreted as showing a section of the siphuncle along with the surface of a septum. Photo #2 is suggestive of a couple of septa and remains of two cameral chambers.

Don

Don, thank you for your suggestion. I've been looking at google and bing image searches. I'm completely at a loss to match it up with anything I've seen through the searches without using wishful thinking at some similarities.....at least I did not have an ah-ha moment. I just noticed that the Forum shows me as an 'advanced member', perhaps because of my multiple photos. I hope you all know I'm a complete novice regarding fossils..."dumb as a rock".

Archived