Pennsylvanian Period Jacksboro, Tx. And Another Site

Roz

At a recent trip I found a few things I really love.. Jacksboro is Finis Shale. Lance was

able to make this trip and hope he can add his favorite finds of the day.

The one that looks like a hot air balloon is my favorite. It was a sunny day or

I might not have seen it.. It is a possible Phestia clam which is one quarter of an inch in length..

I think you can see the growth lines.

post-13-0-60490800-1374280843_thumb.jpg

The next is a brachiopod, Orbiculoidea missouriensis and is usually found in phosphatic nodules.

It's a small one and is about a half an inch..

post-13-0-29676700-1374281224_thumb.jpg

I collected more concretions this time and will add images of the surprises that opened when I am able to get decent images..

What opened is so very tiny, images will take some time.

Welcome to the forum!

I'll bet you have found quite a few! :) It seems to be named for your area.

Welcome to the forum!

Great finds, Roz! :)

The nacre on that clam is sweet!

Can't wait to see what else you two rounded up.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'll bet you have found quite a few! :) It seems to be named for your area.

Probably after orbiculoids found in the Liberty Memorial Formation, which is the most -- and only -- Finis-like shale in the area.

Context is critical.

Great finds, Roz! :)

The nacre on that clam is sweet!

Can't wait to see what else you two rounded up.

Regards,

Thanks, Tim! :)

Welcome to the forum!

Roz....Thats amazing....fantastic preservation....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Roz....Thats amazing....fantastic preservation....

Thanks, I wish there was a way to see the actual colors of so many creatures we

find as fossils..

Welcome to the forum!

I know what you mean....The only thing I have is pigment stains in the shapes the colours were on a small insect my Dad found....It would be brilliant to wind the clock back and see the colours... There must be some resemblance to similar modern creatures though... I presume....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I know what you mean....The only thing I have is pigment stains in the shapes the colours were on a small insect my Dad found....It would be brilliant to wind the clock back and see the colours... There must be some resemblance to similar modern creatures though... I presume....

Yes if the colors served the same purpose, I would think the same. I would also think the water must

have been fairly clear in those days.. I wouldn't mind seeing that too!

Welcome to the forum!

A french study has been published where they took photos under ultra violet light.

They studied french eocen shells

It appears that many shells show ornaments remains (spots and lines mostly like actual species) under that light.

They ve been considering using those ornaments remains to "clear up the roster" a bit, if u see what i mean.

Edited by elcoincoin

Interesting study. I hope they do use the ornament remains to add to the knowledge

out there. I think to know what their original colors and any actual ornaments would

be fantastic! Recently someone posted a trilobite with spots and these spots are

believed to have served a purpose.. I think there is a study on that too.. To actually

know what fossils really looked like when alive would open up one huge window! :)

Welcome to the forum!

Even the simple Orbiculoid has some nice color. That's the only site I've ever found inarticulate brachiopods of any kind, and mine was even smaller at 7mm. Nice close-ups of both.

This is another of my favorite finds from that day. It was on top of a concretion although

there was a small partial shell inside. The one in the center made my day.. Part of the shell

had deteriorated and you can see part of its structure under neath.. That's one of my

favorite things to see.. It is some type of brachiopod..

post-13-0-43167600-1374375463_thumb.jpg

The other fossil inside a nodule I have been unable to get a decent pic of yet..

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After that hunt we headed for Wise County and hunted for a bit. My favorite find is

what I think is a fossil as it is so uniform but have no idea what it is. It was inside a clay

concretion. I would think some kind of shell at one time. The fossil itself is one-half of an inch.

Both sides shown.

post-13-0-19690400-1374376097_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-63731800-1374376340_thumb.jpg

The other image is a some type of cephalopod that has been replaced by crystals.. Quite beautiful to me..

It was also in a clay concretion. I have several of these at a different location but they are always welcome! :)

post-13-0-55775400-1374376416_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-55890000-1374376621_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Hi Roz,

This appears to be a partial enrolled trilobite axis and thoracic segments.

100_7191-001.JPG

100_7187.JPG

You're kidding! Well I am glad to know it's even a fossil. Trilobite never crossed my mind as

a possibility! Thanks, Scott! I would have wondered forever.. :)

Welcome to the forum!

Even the simple Orbiculoid has some nice color. That's the only site I've ever found inarticulate brachiopods of any kind, and mine was even smaller at 7mm. Nice close-ups of both.

Do you ever take nodules from there to open later?

Welcome to the forum!

Hi,

A french study has been published where they took photos under ultra violet light.
They studied french eocen shells
It appears that many shells show ornaments remains (spots and lines mostly like actual species) under that light.
They ve been considering using those ornaments remains to "clear up the roster" a bit, if u see what i mean.

Publications are from Jean-Michel Pacaud and all. I have a 3rd publication, but it is to big to be put here... (about color in Seraphsidae).

Coco

CAZE-MERLE-2011-TaxonomicImplicationsResidualColourPattenrs.pdf

CAZE-MERLE-PACAUD-2011-ContributionResidualColourPatternsCharacterization.pdf

Edited by Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Do you ever take nodules from there to open later?

Don't know why I don't pick up nodules. Guess I'm not "geared" for noticing them. Now I'm feeling inspired me to try to overcome this flaw in my character. The only one I've ever taken home has been freezing/thawing for so long I forgot where it came from:)

Hi,

Publications are from Jean-Michel Pacaud and all. I have a 3rd publication, but it is to big to be put here... (about color in Seraphsidae).

Coco

I sure hope they continue with their work in this area! It has opened a huge window!

Welcome to the forum!

Don't know why I don't pick up nodules. Guess I'm not "geared" for noticing them. Now I'm feeling inspired me to try to overcome this flaw in my character. The only one I've ever taken home has been freezing/thawing for so long I forgot where it came from:)

I have been opening them gently with a hammer.. The smaller ones have been pretty good to me.

Just look for shapes that are interesting or ones that actually have a fossil on the outside..

Welcome to the forum!

At a recent trip I found a few things I really love.. Jacksboro is Finis Shale. Lance was

able to make this trip and hope he can add his favorite finds of the day.

The one that looks like a hot air balloon is my favorite. It was a sunny day or

I might not have seen it.. It is a possible Phestia clam which is one quarter of an inch in length..

I think you can see the growth lines.

attachicon.gif100_6902-001.JPG

The next is a brachiopod, Orbiculoidea missouriensis and is usually found in phosphatic nodules.

It's a small one and is about a half an inch..

attachicon.gif100_7010.JPG

I collected more concretions this time and will add images of the surprises that opened when I am able to get decent images..

What opened is so very tiny, images will take some time.

Great colours!

Ok, the first image is an echinoid spine inside a nodule at the Jacksboro location.. It

is one quarter of an inch.

post-13-0-39878200-1374434236_thumb.jpg

The next 2 images are the same fossil from different angles..It was found on the outside of the same nodule as the echinoid

spine.. I am working on finding an ID for it. I just thought it was interesting..

post-13-0-21192100-1374434332_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-49888200-1374434348_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Great stuff Roz. I love the pennsylvanian fossils, but I don't get to go hunt them much. Having said that I think I am going to try and give it a shot later this week. I am going to have to pay attention to any nodules I see.