Newbie- Collection From Potomac River, Maryland

AmazoniteJosh

I just recently joined the forum and wanted to show off some of our finds from the Potomac River. This is the best from a half a dozen or more trips. I'm interested to know if the large croc tooth is anything special, or anything else that seems especially nice. Thanks

post-12530-0-96240800-1374329048_thumb.jpg

post-12530-0-34505600-1374329057_thumb.jpg

post-12530-0-61311100-1374329062_thumb.jpg

You found a lot of teeth in very good condition, good haul!

I did notice you don't have many tiny teeth, at least in your photo. Don't underestimate the smaller teeth. Sometimes you can find rarer teeth that are small. You obviously have a good eye, so finding micro teeth shouldn't be a problem for you.

As far as the croc tooth, I really couldn't tell you if any thing is special about it but I think croc teeth are fairly common among the Potomac river.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

By the way, welcome to the forum!

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Oh don't worry we have a ziplock bag of 2,000-3,000 teeth that didn't make the display! The tiny teeth are just a little difficult to mount to the case. Here's a few of the cool tiny teeth we found.

post-12530-0-99559400-1374337402_thumb.jpg

post-12530-0-77672000-1374337406_thumb.jpg

post-12530-0-21676200-1374337410_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Your collection

Is amazing. Looking at a dozen YEARS

to find that many teeth in new jersey

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Awesome finds! I live in an area where good fossils are quite scarce. Most of my fossils come from micro matrix sent from other forum members.

Stephen

Welcome to the forum. That's a nice collection of teeth from the river. I see you have a Palaeocarcharodon orientalis tooth. It is the second tooth from the left, bottom row in your first and third photos. Even when worn they are a great find! Congrats!

Welcome to the forum. That's a nice collection of teeth from the river. I see you have a Palaeocarcharodon orientalis tooth. It is the second tooth from the left, bottom row in your first and third photos. Even when worn they are a great find! Congrats!

Thanks for the info, I knew that tooth was a little different than the others, but I didn't know what it was.

I see where you've posted about Matoaka cottages, I've never been there, but I'm thinking about going there soon. Do you have any suggestions beyond low tide? We didn't have any luck the one time we went to Calvert Cliffs st park, but it was our first ever shark tooth hunt. We've had a lot more luck over on the potomac, we (my dad, brother and I) usually find between 200-600 teeth each outing, but most teeth seem to be pretty small. I'd love to find a new go-to place that will be productive with some different species. Thanks again!

AmazoniteJosh,

You have a lot of great stuff. In the first photo of the three on dimes you have a Paraorthacodus clarki. I have never collected fossils in your area but I know that is an uncommon tooth. Nice find. I think that;s an anterior tooth.

The two teeth on the second dime are Pachygaleus and the third dime holds a tiny Cretalamna appendiculata All three species (and genera) are extinct.

Oh don't worry we have a ziplock bag of 2,000-3,000 teeth that didn't make the display! The tiny teeth are just a little difficult to mount to the case. Here's a few of the cool tiny teeth we found.