Need Help With Fossil Id

dvespath

I found this fossil at a yard sale, I have no info about it's history! Can anyone help me ID what it is. Your time and help is very much appreciated, David

post-12576-0-42729700-1374342664_thumb.jpg

The earliest ammonites appear during the Devonian,

and the last species died out during the Cretaceous.

Extremely simplified timeline: Click Here

Other members probably will be able to identify

the scientific name and specific age of this ammonite

as well as might recognize where the fossil was collected.

Edited by Indy
  • I found this Informative 1

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Well Indy, I thank you for your detailed help. So I guess it wasn't a bad buy for $5.00 at a yard sale. Thanks Again , David

The pointy thing may be a belemnite 'guard': LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The pointy thing may be a belemnite 'guard': LINK

Definitely, and looks as if there are a couple more in there - cross section to the right and perhaps one to the left.

Tarquin

Fossil at bottom centre is for sure a belemnite.

Those big yellow fossils are ammonites and I am nearly sure, that they are from superfamily Perisphinctoidea (middle Jurassic - lower Cretaceous). My opinion is, that this piece comes from southern Germany and is upper Jurassic (maybe Kimmeridgian). Locality can be Gräfenberg, or some similar one. From these localities, ammonites come often in very iterresting green color, but yellow ones can be found too (in my colection, I have both green and yellow pieces (yellow needs to be prepared), or some of them are with both green and yellow). Sadly, its very hard to identify them, but I read mostly about genera as Orthosphinctes, or Ardescia.

This is my example that comes from locality Bischberg (in the past, part of my collection):

85q8.jpg

5 USD has been a really good price.