Found Egg Shapped Fossil, Need Help Id

Fosman

Hello guys, I found this egg Shaped object and it looks to be like an Egg Fossil, I found it in my back yard in Miami, Florida. Anybody knows what this is? It is about less than two inches in length and half an inch thick.

It looks like an egg shaped rock to me.

I don't know it's perfectly round. In that crack you see there it looks like there is some sort of crystal shinning in there.

It looks like a rock with a suggestive shape to me also. Some of the best of us get tricked by shapes at times! I would look up fossils that can be found in your area and what locations near you are good to look. Beach and river finds are always fun and you may be surprised at the things you could possibly find! :)

The image, it appears, has been removed by the topic starter.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The image, it appears, has been removed by the topic starter.

But not by the Google cached image bots! :ninja:

post-4301-0-48316000-1374433280_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

attachicon.gifImage1.jpg

What a disappointment... it ain't even really egg-shaped. :P

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

The picture isn't all that great, but I can't imagine what it could be other than a water-worn cobble.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Oeuf da! :P

:faint:

attachicon.gifImage1.jpg

Nice catch!

I hope the OP doesn't become discouraged though.

When you start looking for something, everything starts looking like what you'd like it to be. Ask any gold prospector as they learn to separate gold flakes from pyrite flakes. Yeah, nuggets are easy - but not the flour dust.

With fossils, while looking for organization amongst disorganization, natural shapes start looking more organized.

My husband keeps me honest. Being a natural skeptic - when he'd hike with me I'd say "Look at that, What do you think it is?" His somewhat surly answer, "It looks like a rock to me," (with the emphasis on ROCK). I kept at it until he could no longer say that, as I knew the topographic variety out here had to provide something of interest. Then he started finding some interesting things too, and stopped generalizing everything.

Together we end up with something more balanced, and conversations about how to find out what things are become quite interesting. Now he asks me, "Have you found any interesting rocks lately?"

Not everyone has that at home.

Archived