kkborch

Best Beaches For Shark Teeth In South Carolina

kkborch

Just wanted to share a little info for anyone new visiting the area and looking for casual shark teeth hunting spots.

Pawleys Island: I started out hunting for teeth here when I was little but have continued to visit this beach throughout the years. The best place at Pawleys is the north side of the island close to the inlet. The teeth are small and often broken but every now and then you can find a bigger, complete tooth. Most teeth are from sandsharks, bullsharks, ect. No big great white or megaladon teeth here. I've been to the South end of Pawleys Island twice and haven't found a single one.

Hunington Beach: After getting tired of Pawleys, I decided to go to Hunington Beach one day just to do something different. As soon as we got on the beach I found a nice little tooth while setting up my umbrella. My friend and I found about 150 teeth in a few hours. We drove to the north end of Hunington and then walked north on the beach. The teeth were the same size as the ones at Pawleys Island, but we found a whole lot more.

Folly Beach: TODAY I decided to make a longer drive and check out Folly Beach after hearing that it was a good place for shark teeth, and WOW I am happy I went. The day started out slow and my friend and I didn't find anything for the 1st 30-45 mins of walking on the beach. We almost gave up looking and then we found our first one, and it was already bigger than anything we had found during the last few weeks at Pawleys/Hunington. We spent the next few hours walking and searching and we found about 12 teeth total through out the day, and the two biggest/best teeth I have ever found. I found a very nice, complete sand shark tooth and my friend found a HUGE tiger shark tooth. Quanity was definately down but the quality and size of the teeth were amazing compared to the other beaches. We found these teeth south of the peir, between the rock piles, and about halfway between the dunes and the water, sitting out in the open. None of these teeth were grouped in with a large shell bed or anything like that.

teeth2.jpg

Hopefully this helps someone and I'm glad I could share my experience. I will be checking out Edisto Beach (heard great things) when I wake up as this is the only day this week the tides/weather and my schedule will allow. I also plan on checking out Edisto River one day. If anyone would like to go shark teeth hunting with me, let me know. This is the last summer I will live in SC so I'll be getting as much time on the beach as I possibly can. Thanks and enjoy!

UPDATE: 7/22/2013

Edisto Beach: So far my favorite place to search for teeth. My personal experience today wasn't great. I didn't get much sleep and then made the 2+ hour drive down to the beach. Lost my $150 Oakleys, didn't get much time on the beach at all, then had to drive back and ended up getting lost in Charleston lol. But the beach itself is really nice and my brother and I found about 60 teeth. None were bigger than a nickle and honestly I had higher expectations after the two we found at Folly Beach yesterday. Although, we were only on the beach for about an hour or so. I'm sure if we had more time on the beach and found some better spots we would have had a lot more. For the most part we stayed between the rock piles and searched in or near the shell beds. I plan on checking out Edisto again as soon as I can and look for some better areas and try to plan for a full day on the beach! Can't wait to get back there. Below is a pic of our finds from today.

ee5ef3e2-5ccb-4398-a907-b0d7354c9623.jpg

Edited by kkborch

Auspex

Helpful info: thanks, and welcome to the Forum :)

Lee Taylor

I want to shark tooth hunt Edisto beach again. It will have to be on a weekend for me to go. I live on James Island SC. I have a spot I would like to try at low tide.

NavyDad4

You found some nice teeth, especially on Folly's. Glad to know which beach to try when I get down to SC.

I walk Topsail Island, NC for teeth and other fossils. North Topsail Beach is the best of the 3 towns of TI for them. Like with SC beaches, the teeth we find are usually worn and often fragmented. But hey, the beach access is unimpeded and the surf is free. What's not to like?!

We do find a wide variety of teeth as the accompanying pics show.

So... come on down to SC or up to NC. Carolina has the best beaches in America, from sea to shining sea.

post-11133-0-22672300-1374538243_thumb.jpg

post-11133-0-40173500-1374539050_thumb.jpg

kkborch

Lee, I'd love to go with you one day or at least chat with you about some spots down at Edisto. Today was my 1st day there and I really don't know my way around the area or where exactly to look. Today was pretty much a "feeler" day just to check it out. It's about a 2 hour 15 min drive for me so I'll need a couple days heads up. I plan on going down there again though as soon as I can.

NavyDad4, those are some nice finds! Were all of those beach finds?

Lee Taylor

No guarantees but my suspicions are there are specimens to be found by walking up Jerimey's Inlet(Edisto Island) a ways. Use a scoop and screen. There are fossils everywhere in the Charleston area. The problem is they are underneath what is called the "overburden".

My most and best finds are always in the creeks and rivers. Have found a few tiny teeth in the surf but they are few and far between. I have a fossil head pal and we are waiting for the Edisto river to slow down. We have been working the Edisto for the past few years. Its easy and fun and the teeth are in good condition for this area.

I saw a photo of a pair of really nice teeth that came out of the Cooper river the other day. A Great White and a Mako. Very good specimens.

The edges of Drum Island tend to produce some teeth, but you will need a boat. Morris Island produces a few also. Not many people around to pick these up, because you need a boat. I have heard claims Cat Island produces also.

If you are in NC you should check out Green Mill stream.... is what I think they call it

Edited by Lee Taylor

NavyDad4

Yes, all of the fossils in those photos are from North Topsail Beach, NC. Meg frags are commonly found at the upper end of NTB.

Lee Taylor

I would like to shark tooth hunt this inlet

Jerimey_zpsb6fabcf7.png

Different view same inlet

JInlet_zps75ac5b16.jpg

Would like to hunt this Jetty the same day

Jetty_zps5c1a0022.png

kkborch

Update 7/27/2013

Myrtle Beach: Definitely my favorite spot for shark teeth so far. My friend and I were able to find about 300 teeth throughout the day! We searched the beach for about 4-5 hours but unfortunately we arrived during high tide. The hunting didn't get good until the tide started going out. We started finding teeth in the wash and at times we would bend over and pick up 3 or 4 at a time. We didn't find anything of real size and a lot of the teeth were fragmented but we did manage to find a few nice complete teeth about the size of a nickle. I ran into a guy there that did manage to find a inch size great white tooth. I can't wait to get back there and be there during low tide. We were on the beach around 18th Ave N and then walked north on the beach along the line of shells next to the water. I definitely recommend checking out Myrtle Beach if you're in to finding shark teeth, but if you're visiting and want to get away from the crowds Edisto is probably the best bet. Myrtle Beach (during the summer) is crowded, the water isn't great, and there's some trash just from the ammount of people. Below is a pic of our finds:

a3bc7a1c-bd83-4116-a0b0-76f890162e4d.jpg

Lee Taylor

Wow, you guys picked up quite a few. Looks like the tiger shark tooth on the left is the rare one in this grouping.

mingloyd

Visited Myrtle Beach this past week, and as always ...once a year...I was combing the beach for teeth!

Not too bad of an ending, pretty sure I found over 100 Shark teeth...a few good finds. First 3 in top row are prehistoric aligator scoots (which were under the skin and gave them their humps on their back.)

The next 3 are Great White Shark teeth, the biggest an upper, and 2 lower. The next thing is a barb from a Stingray. The rest are just a variety of sharks like the Mako, Sand, Bull, tiger, ect...

post-16093-0-99033300-1407162376_thumb.jpg

post-16093-0-00740800-1407162393_thumb.jpg

Auspex

Good haul!

I took the liberty of tweaking the brightness and contrast of your trophy shot:

post-423-0-23631900-1407163780_thumb.jpg

cristin1124

post-16709-0-05671400-1413313150_thumb.jpg

I went on my first shark tooth hunt this weekend on James Island, SC. Could one of you help me identify them? Thank you!

Lee Taylor

I think the best places are just a tad inland. The virgin edges of the rivers just before they empty into the ocean. I found this one this past summer in the Edisto river.

t2_zps130af1f5.jpg t1_zpsf0347f45.jpg

Edited by Lee Taylor

Jocassee Tiger
We took a day trip to Myrtle Beach on Sunday and walked the beach for a couple hours. I was expecting a little more but there really weren't many shells or teeth. I think it could have been much better if we were in the water. Anyway, it turned out alright and I found the two big ones right at the very end with one probably being my best ever.

Some of these teeth have some awesome color.

20160320 212610

20160320 212117

20160320 211823

abcwixson

post-19531-0-55241600-1458847209_thumb.jpg

I have thousands of teeth from Edisto with this Great White being probably the best

post-19531-0-55920600-1458847282_thumb.jpg

this plate is about half of the teeth i own from edisto

reddesilets

I'm thinking of planning a camping trip with the boys this summer at Edisto Beach State Park. Toby is very excited about the idea, esp because of the teeth. LOL ;) Duncan? Not so much! LOL He'd rather stay home in the AC and play video games. :P

MGWTEX10

I just started seriously looking for shark teeth and other Coastal fossils when I moved to Myrtle Beach last year. 

I found this beautiful Great White tooth last week on the Grand Strand near 12th Ave. N. 

I am hooked. Love the forum. 

PHOTO_20170522_165546_fx.jpg