Mammut?

Phitoplancton

No, it is not likely to be from a mastodon (Mammut sp.). It is much, much more likely to be from a mammoth (Mammuthus sp.) near Kiev.

Here is a proximal tibia from a mammut for comparison (though distinguishing between the two is problematic when you have just the proximal end of the bone).

post-42-0-41914700-1374518507_thumb.jpg post-42-0-01216100-1374518531_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I think he meant Mammuthus, Harry - often called Mammut in some of the northern European languages, and in Russian (Mamont, I think).

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Sorry, my english language and paleontology knowledges it's not so good and when i say Mammout i really meant Mammoth (Mamont). it's good for me if this fossil belong to mammoth! :) I talk with worker who washed sand. He said he found bones every day..claws, horns, tusks, teeth, vertebrates and many of this fossils they just throw away..Thanks for ID! :)

Sorry, my english language and paleontology knowledges it's not so good and when i say Mammout i really meant Mammoth (Mamont). it's good for me if this fossil belong to mammoth! :) I talk with worker who washed sand. He said he found bones every day..claws, horns, tusks, teeth, vertebrates and many of this fossils they just throw away..Thanks for ID! :)

You're welcome, Phito . . . хорошу роботу на цей раз.

Most of us don't read Ukrainian minds like Rich, particularly the newbies, so it seemed important to straighten out the names. I do understand the challenge of technical talk in another language . . . my undergrad minor is in Russian language, and I was a translator in the Cold War military.

Bring that sand pit operator a bottle of good vodka, and ask him to save the bones and teeth for you. If he provides some good material, bring him another bottle. You can always sell a few of the fossils to pay for the vodka. Дайте нам знати, як вона працює для вас.

What seest thou else

Yeah, i surprised when Rich said what exactly i mean..it's really some telepathy or deeply knowledges about our culture :) By the way, knowledges about magic effect of vodka, also require some awareness in our traditions :) I necessarily used you advice, but might i a little correct you? In our country we call vodka - gorilka :)

From the size of it, that's about the only possibility - although, rhino could be nearly as baig.

Phitoplancton,

I spent some time in your part of the world collecting veretbrates and investigating the geology:

Rich River Prutt 1972

Rich And Karl In Russia

Rich In Moscow

Wow! Loks like you get involved of paleontology long time!

It's our neighbourhoods- Russian..In past we was one Soviet Union..Now we independent country - Ukraine :)

I go to our museum and look on the skeletons of mammoth and woolly rhino closer. Maybe i can find the difference.

We have an esteemed member in Donetsk: RomanK. Among other things, he collects and studies Carboniferous plant fossils from the coal tips there.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Gorilka... Certainly worth passing out for more great material! Very self rewarding to find specimens on your own though? :) Auspex mentioned Roman and he has some wonderful carboniferous plant fossils.... You should take a look! And congrats on the fabulous finds! Love it!!! :D

Phitoplancton, The closest I got to your homeland was Georgia and Moldavia. I traveled around the old USSR for three months, and enjoyed it greatly.

I do have some specimens of the fossil minature seal from the Ukraine.

We'll enjoy seeing more of your finds!

Rich

Phitoplancton, The closest I got to your homeland was Georgia and Moldavia. I traveled around the old USSR for three months, and enjoyed it greatly.

I do have some specimens of the fossil minature seal from the Ukraine.

We'll enjoy seeing more of your finds!

Rich

Three months in the Soviet Union in 1972! You were so lucky, Rich! I was barred from foreign travel for some years after I got out of the military because of 'national security concerns.' I guess you didn't have that problem, eh? The year 1972 was a tumultuous time -- the Cold War was still pretty intense, though Nixon and Brezhnev did manage to sign the SALT II agreement. We were still bombing the dickens out of Hanoi. Jane Fonda made her infamous visit to Viet Nam in July of 1972. And you were having your picture taken in the USSR in front of a statue of Karl Marx. We lived in interesting times.

What seest thou else

Harry, I was actually in Russia at the same time that Nixon was, but never in the same city at the same time. My visit there was sponsored by the Soviets, through, I think, the Academia Nauk. Had no problem getting in, but they seemed a little annoyed at the pile of topo maps I took out of Russia, although after a few hours they allowed me to take them. We had constant supervision while in the big cities, but when we were out in the field it was just me and one Russian scientist in a jeep. We went wherever we wanted. I was interviewed a number of times by various government agents when I returned. For some reason, they were much more interested then in my time spent in Czechoslovakia than my time in Russia.

There were many of us there for a field conference on the Quaternary.

It was a rare opportunity for a young scientist.

Rich

Archived