Meanderings of a Texas Fossil Hunter

Index of Reports

Fossil Report Nov 07

Edited by Anson
Added Links

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Looks like November was a pretty productive month for you, Dan..... I'll be going through the older reports now, too.. Very interesting reports..

I got an email today from a university professor that said one of my "unidentified limb bones" from Site 140 is actually a human humerus. I thought it might be that due to gracile structure and large proximal condyle, but I didn't stick my neck out in case it was a heron leg bone or similar. The ID is supported by the fact that I found 2 spear points at the same site last year. Pretty cool!

Grüße,

No, the skull site is actually 1-2 hours away although now I have found artifacts, human remains, sloth, mammoth, horse, bison, and the usual cast of Pleistocene critters in both areas. I suspect there are many more such sites around. I just have to find them. I wish I could flood these rivers and then pull the plug on 2 week cycles. As it stands I only get to hit each good area a couple times per year. As much as I have explored over the last 3-4 years I only have maybe 4 really killer, slam dunk Pleistocene areas although I'm always trying to add more to the list.

Grüße,

awesome!! i spent about 2 hours reading through every one of your 2007 reports... going on to the 2006 ones tonight!

the fossils you are finding, and in such huge numbers absolutley amazes me! i was drooling over ever fossil!

How do you store/catalogue them all?

thanks a lot for relieving my bordem these holidays! really makes me want to get out into the feild and discover some new things!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

just finished 2006 and 2005!

*drool***!!!

all i have to say is amazing! and well done!

If you have any pictures of your collection, displays i would love to see them!

thanks

Kauffy

I basically have fossils everywhere. I have many, many 12 x 16 Riker mounts for the small stuff arranged by formation and site number. I also have clear, single level tackle boxes of specimens arranged the same way. My office is sort of a mini museum as well - good thing my boss and president are somewhat interested in this stuff. Of course there is all the requisite flower garden art around the house too for the stuff too big and rough to put in the house, but too good to just give away. I've sold a few things where I had ludicrous surplus quantities, but all the B grade stuff gets donated to schools, Boy Scouts etc. 100-300 LBS at a time.

Grüße,

Wow!

I quess with the amount of things you find you must have quite a few of the same species, thats good you give a lot away to schools and boy scouts!

I hope some day, when i finish my last year of high-school i can head out to Texas and do some hunting!!!

Cant wait for your next report!