My First Tooth! Thinking Scapanorhynchus

Suvi

I found this tooth and got SO EXCITED! I am still learning and starting this hobby, but very fast becoming addicted! So far all I wanted to find was a shark tooth and after finding two Ptychodus whipplei teeth, I saw this!

I am thinking Scapanorhynchus. Found in North Dallas with other Cretaceous fossils.post-12443-0-63879600-1374539847_thumb.jpg

Might that be an example of Cretoxyrhina mantelli instead? I could be wrong but the root looks like it. And I don't see the prominent striations running the length of the blade like you have in Scapanorhynchus? I have attached an image of one of each side by side. The black tooth is the Scapanorhynchus.

post-5008-0-55733100-1374541458_thumb.jpg

One question please...were you by chance poking around in the Kamp Ranch Member of the Eagle Ford Group? It is characterized by slabs of a yellowish limestone many of which contain a phosphatic layer of pebbles and teeth. They sometimes even contain fish vertebrae or plesiosaur teeth.

It may very well be Cretoxyrhina, all suggestions welcomed! I found it where there is a lot of red and orange mud clumped into softer rocks, with layers of grey. It was loose and washed to a waters edge. Sorry, I am not too familiar with the formations yet. :(

With quick research the tooth you suggest is also curved, like the one I found. On the back side it is grey (no lines) and very smooth.

What is the difference you see on the root of the tooth?

I believe the Cretoxyrhina root is thicker. It is also a little wider. And there is a really pronounced grove in the middle at the base of the Scapanorhynchus root. At least this is my belief...

Beautiful tooth..... :P I hope to find one someday, I know I will in time....Just got to get out there... :D

Kathy

When photographing shark teeth for identification, it makes it easier if you shoot it straight on with views of both sides. Sometimes, a profile view helps so we can see how prominent the lingual protuberance (the root bump) is. judging from the photos, I think it is a Cretoxyrhina mantelli.

Here is the back side.

attachicon.gif2.jpg

Beautiful tooth..... :P I hope to find one someday, I know I will in time....Just got to get out there... :D

Thanks, I just got another one last night! It is not perfect tho.... but they are out there, good luck!! :)

When photographing shark teeth for identification, it makes it easier if you shoot it straight on with views of both sides. Sometimes, a profile view helps so we can see how prominent the lingual protuberance (the root bump) is. judging from the photos, I think it is a Cretoxyrhina mantelli.

Thanks for the tips, I will try to take pics of the "profile" and post again.

Here are pics from the sides. Also the second tooth I found (missing one side of the root bump). Both were found at the same location.

post-12443-0-22976900-1375288158_thumb.jpg post-12443-0-83399800-1375288169_thumb.jpg post-12443-0-59206400-1375288190_thumb.jpg post-12443-0-93115300-1375288215_thumb.jpg post-12443-0-93781500-1375288238_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for the help!

Archived