Are Segmented Stems Bryozoa Also?

lissa318

Nothing but rain and more rain here for the longest time. :( Stumbled on this rock in a pile of landscaping stones. I've found small bits of this but not with segmented cylinder/cone stems. Also bryozoa? The gaps are filled with quartz I believe. These pics are just one side. All but one is covered in stems and bryozoa? Thanks for looking. :)

post-8801-0-19688300-1374618594_thumb.jpg

Edited by lissa318

Those look like rugose coral. Lithostrotion perhaps.

And stop taking all of our rain. :)

Context is critical.

You can have the rain! Thunders rolling right now... We may float away soon?! ;) And cool thanks for the ID! Something new!!!! Love new things. Will post pics of other sides later. Just to be sure, all coral? Or bryozoa and just the stems are coral? Thanks Missourian! :D

The large things are all coral, as far as I can see. The lacy-bryozoan-looking stuff are the septa, and the portion in the middle contains the tabulae. Or at least I think so. Here's what I have in mind:

post-6808-0-36077400-1374620332_thumb.jpg

And the rain.... It was almost non-stop until a month or so ago, and then someone turned off the faucet.... :)

• I found this Informative 1

Context is critical.

That looks spot on! Thanks Missourian! Still trying to flip and put it all in perspective in my head... The bryozoan like areas seem to show regardless of whether the stem is split vertically (showing multiple segments) or right through the stem horizontally? Gonna do some internet research.... Not much else I can do with all this rain... lol :P And agree rain is good. Honestly, I love a good thunderstorm?! This is getting to be a bit ridiculous though. And every Sunday it never fails. There's going to probably be a strip mall in my hunting ground before I know it?

The large things are all coral, as far as I can see. The lacy-bryozoan-looking stuff are the septa, and the portion in the middle contains the tabulae. Or at least I think so. Here's what I have in mind:

attachicon.gifIMG_2159_-_Copy.jpg

And the rain.... It was almost non-stop until a month or so ago, and then someone turned off the faucet.... :)

Here's a semi OK pic of one of the other sides. :) Looked up rugose coral and is making more sense to me! :)

post-8801-0-86171900-1374630350_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2159_-_Copy.jpg

That's one of mine! - I agree it's very similar to yours - glad it came in useful :).(Been thinking of starting a UK Carboniferous coral thread here - must get onto it...)

Lithostrotion is (annoyingly) nowadays just used for cerioid (honeycomb) forms - try Siphonodendron or Diphyphyllum for related branching ones.

The tabulae and lack of central columella on yours suggest Diphyphyllum - although Siphonodendron can also have diphyphylloid corallites and you need to look at how they divide to pin them down.

(By the way, I'm still not sure of an ID for my specimen there - could be Diphyphyllum but I think it might actually be a Koninckophyllum, there's very little branching going on).

Edited by TqB

Tarquin

That's one of mine! - I agree it's very similar to yours - glad it came in useful :).(Been thinking of starting a UK Carboniferous coral thread here - must get onto it...)

Lithostrotion is (annoyingly) nowadays just used for cerioid (honeycomb) forms - try Siphonodendron or Diphyphyllum for related branching ones.

The tabulae and lack of central columella on yours suggest Diphyphyllum - although Siphonodendron can also have diphyphylloid corallites and you need to look at how they divide to pin them down.

(By the way, I'm still not sure of an ID for my specimen there - could be Diphyphyllum but I think it might actually be a Koninckophyllum, there's very little branching going on).

Thanks for the great info!!! I looked both up but honestly having a difficult time telling if it definitely is or isn't either of those?! Knowing nothing about coral makes it hard to tell them apart! I must say that I saw some beautiful specimens of yours while trying to figure it out! You have a fabulous collection!!!!!! :D Edited by lissa318

"I looked both up but honestly having a difficult time telling if it definitely is or isn't either of those?"

Join the club! - and it might be something else anyway, although both genera do occur in the USA.

Thanks for the kind comments! :)

Tarquin