The Bear Valley Strip Mine?

PA Fossil Finder

PA Fossil Finder

Anybody heard of the site called the Whaleback (AKA Bear Valley Strip Mine)? A friend of mine gave me some beautiful fern fossils from a site he called the Whaleback. He said there were big pieces of loose shale at the base of this rock formation that you could split open with your bare hands and find awesome ferns. I was wondering where exactly is it and are there collecting regulations.

Right now, I am scouting potential sites to go fossil hunting near Orangeville, PA. If you know of a good potential site PM me.

Fossildude19

A quick google search found this:

Link 1

Link 2

Regards,

• 1 year later...

Bear Valley is part of a huge set of unreclaimed strip mines from west of Shamokin thru Ashland and on up towards Scranton. The Whaleback is worth seeing and is easy ot get to but the road is pretty tough for the last little bit. I'r recommend coming into Shamokin on the north side and then taking Rte 125 south thru town. Just after leaving town 125 takes a hard left and you should go straight on Bear Valley Road. After a mile or so the road is marked "not maintained" but it it's in pretty good shape there. After you go another mile the paving stops and you start up a hill for maybe 200 yds. Once you get to the top of the hill go straight for another 100 yds or so over a wider, wash board area and on your left you'll see a well worn path. Take it down between 2 huge spoil piles until you get to the Whaleback. IT's fairly well picked over at this point but I'm sure there stuff still there. I've gone dozens of times and still find stuff new to me. Although recently I've moved on to other areas along the strips mines.

You'll see and hear lots of people riding dirt bikes and ATV's on weekends and I've seen a few college field trips there too. Everybody has always been nice to me and I've never had any trouble there.

• I found this Informative 3
PA Fossil Finder

Thanks so much for the info! I hope I can go there soon.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the info. We have a family Spring Break trip planned through PA. Might be a possibility.