What's Your State Or Provincial Fossil?

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

Just curious about what the official State or Provincial fossil of your locality is. I think it will make for interesting conversation, please if possible include pictures.

Ah, beat me to it! :D Here's info on it.

Heck you probably had it typed out before I could highlight, copy and paste :thumbsup:

Kevin Wilson

Guest Nicholas
Fascinating. Have you ever found one?

No, only ever found plant stuff. If I did I'd have to take it to the grave because the government would storm my house and take it.

I don't know if we have a state fossil, but our state dinosaur is the stegosaurus.

The reason why is because that was the first fossil found by Cope when he came to Colorado.

In my forum about meteorites, I mentioned that I had three pieces in my collection from Cope.

I had a friend that worked at the Smithsonian for several years.

They were re-doing the Cope wing and found some stuff that wasn't worth displaying and put them in the dumpster.

If you have ever worked at a museum, you know that they can't sell anything or give it away.

They can only throw stuff away.

My friend new I lived in Colorado and collected rare stuff and gave it to me as a gift.

The tag says: "Section of Dermal plate from my new morrison dinosaur" "(Show ASR)

ASR being of course Alfred Sherwood Romer

Signed: Cope

This is a piece of American history, and piece from the first dinosaur discovered in Colorado

post-1026-1228428059_thumb.jpg

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

No, only ever found plant stuff. If I did I'd have to take it to the grave because the government would storm my house and take it.

Ah, I hear ya. You could find it, photo it, and call the government to come get it. But at least you'd get credit for finding one!

One time I found a Jefferson salamander, which is protected in Maryland. They were unknown from the area that I was researching until that day. I photographed it, noted the location, and sent it to a buddy of mine that works in the park service. As it turns out, it was the first one ever found in my county that anyone knew about. There is no documentation on the record that mentions my find, but my friend told me that they recognize it behind the scenes. I'm OK with that. I have the pic and the knowledge that I found it and had the opportunity to observe it. That was eight years ago, and each spring we go looking for it or any of it's relatives and only have found one juvenile. But hey, it's proof that they are breeding there and there's more than 2 now!

Sorry to stray off topic...

Kevin Wilson

Very cool piece of history Bones.

The Smithsonian has more than they know what to do with. It is mind boggling walking through their collections.

Wow Dave, it's stuff like your post that keeps me tuned in so often now. I'm amazed at what I read on this site!

Kevin Wilson

Wow Dave, it's stuff like your post that keeps me tuned in so often now. I'm amazed at what I read on this site!

Thanks for the compliment.

I've been in love with fossils since I was nine. I'm an elder in my church and some people see it as a conflict.

God made the dinosaurs, their extinct, I dig-um up, their cool.

Whats the problem with that?

Hmmmmm, I think it is the ammonite Placenticeras but I'm not sure!

Is that your piece? They have such a pearl essence to them.

Beautiful!!!!

Florida's state stone is agatized coral (made of chalcedony, a type of quartz), which is just as much fossil as it is mineral. Although the State of Florida has not chosen an official state fossil, the Florida Geological Survey (FGS) suggests that the echinoid Eupatagus antillarum, from the Eocene, be made the state fossil. Other unofficial state stuff that the FGS is partial to includes calcite as state mineral and Ocala Limestone as state rock (instead of agatized coral).

i think Texas' state rock is z z top, but i'm not sure.

hey, that reminds me of something.

there were these two atoms walking down the street. first atom says to the other, "man, i think i lost one of my electrons!" the second atom says, "are you sure?!" first atom answers, "i'm positive!"

i think Texas' state rock is z z top, but i'm not sure.

hey, that reminds me of something.

there were these two atoms walking down the street. first atom says to the other, "man, i think i lost one of my electrons!" the second atom says, "are you sure?!" first atom answers, "i'm positive!"

:durr: :durr: :applause: :applause: :rofl: :rofl: Don't quit your day job!

Virginia's state fossil is Chesapecten jeffersonius which is a type of shell. Not to offend any of you slimers out there but i would have prefered some type of vertebrate

I can't find Indiana's fossil, anyone know?

Delos thinks it is a Crinoid of some sort.

think they tried to pass that but didn't.

Texas is the sauropod dino and th palm wood. I don't have the sauropod but I do have some palm wood, just don't have a pic of it. Will take pic and post later.