How Do You Carry Your Finds Out?

pinkpantherbeekeeper

I know the thread is a few months old, but I'd like to add my two cents.

My collecting gear of choice:

Foldable shopping cart for carrying everything

Large canvas fishing tackle "box" with shoulder strap, full of muticompartment bead boxes for small or highly fragile pieces

Several canvas rice bags (my local Indian restaurant gives them away free) for large, less fragile pieces

Backpack with water bottles, roll of paper towels, box of tissues, lunch, and other necessities. Toilet paper works very well for wrapping fragile things!

Small plastic bead bags for tiny bits

Hammers, chisels, safety glasses, etc.

The cart isn't optimal over rough terrain, but it's better than lugging the rocks by hand!

We used a hessian bag with 2 holes cut in (one on each corner) with 2 poles through it. This is for the bigger finds that are still small enough to lift out by people power, but require 4 + people to lift.

The fossil (in jacket) sits on the hessian bag. Worked alright, but heavy is still heavy, so we took plenty of breaks.

Buckets, backpacks and hands are my other means for smaller ones.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

• 4 weeks later...

These are my main fossil/tool carriers.

Tools, and sometimes extra shale in this one:

post-2806-0-07915500-1393019690_thumb.jp

Shale in one similar to this one:

post-2806-0-87294800-1393019738_thumb.pn

And larger tools and larger slabs in my new llbean backpack:

post-2806-0-71785300-1393019778_thumb.jp

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I always keep a supply of quart size zip lock bags and the smaller fold over sandwich bags in my trip supplies. These take up very little room and are very light. The small bags are good for wrapping semi-fragile and small specimens. The larger ones I use for multiple items from a small area. Since in Ohio and Ind. I hunt Ordv and up, marine fossils, this works great and keeps them sorted and easy to find in my larger bag.

Another thing I find helpful is a small, light plastic wheelbarrow if I will need to take any heavier supplies off road.

Here's a way a friend does it for bigger ones, I've only had to do it once (so far (pictured)).

Hessian (burlap) bag with 2 posts through it to give 4 handles.

post-10815-0-58872700-1393470344_thumb.jpg

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Here's a way a friend does it for bigger ones, I've only had to do it once (so far (pictured)).

Hessian (burlap) bag with 2 posts through it to give 4 handles.

If you had to you could cross the back ends of the poles together and pull it out like the Indians did.

• 1 month later...

I gave up on my cobbled together carts & wagons and picked up a Kill Shot game hauler like some hunters use. It breaks down small to pack in the vehicle (like 2.5' x 2.5') and has nice sized wheels for getting over obstacles. I added a wood platform with some eyelets to be able to strap things down with bungee cords. So far it has worked great for us. :fingers crossed:

• 2 weeks later...

ah i just walk a few feet to my car for the ones close by for the river for now i have a hand bag thing.....but planning on upgrading cause i realized the big stuff aint going in there so will probably get a bucket next time i go hunting

Clear plastic wrap! Wouldn't be caught dead without it. It has proven to be my trusted friend through many illustrious adventures! When u run up on something fragile, that is the only thing that will do!....among other items, i try to always carry a butterknife....use the handle end to bang a chip off anything that catches my eye. I can litterally be tracked by the chips i've banged and left in my wake! :D if ever in Tn hunting and ya run into them banged chips....might as well search out greener pastures right then, cause the goods have already been transported to my humble abode... These ears constantly burn from being kussed by folks who run up on my banged chips! :) & if you're in Mountain lion country like this, ya better be toteing something that won't fail when that day comes....or there's a very real possibility, it will eat of you what it wants....cover up the rest of you w/ a pile of leaves,ect. And come back to eat the rest of you @ a later date!....just saying.

Edited by Tennessees Pride

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

For me, I use a back pack for medium sized things, small plastic jars for small things and for slabs, it depends. If I am alone, its a fridge cart and plastic totes from walmart. If I have a friend, I use those orange straps with holes that they use for easily lifting heavy objects. I just slide a 2" dowel through the arm holes, one on each side, wrap the ends with a towel, both people put those ends on their shoulders and off we go. Works great.

• 2 weeks later...

I always carry a few large bags from 20 kilo bird seed or horse feed when looking in the open fields for ammonites that float to the surface in the black soil. (as the soil expands and contracts from being wet and dry the soil settles under the rocks and fossil eventually forcing them to the top). The advantage of this is that when I have finished I can go for a quick drive in my 4 x 4 and pick them up with out loosing any in the grass, also good for collecting matrix to take home.

Mike

I normally use a backpack, a small satchel, and my pants and jacket pockets. I also use a few small cardboard boxes with tissues in them for padding and protection.

"Life will find a way"-Ian Malcolm

• 2 months later...
I just received this folding wagon for Fathers Day and can't wait to use it. It only weighs 20 lbs and folds and unfolds in a couple of seconds. It isn't practicle for some fossil sites but can be a blessing for others......both for carrying tools and supplies in and your fossils out. Specific sites where I've seen these put to good use are Penn-Dixie Quarry in New York and Ridgemount Quarry in Fort Erie, Canada. Right now they are on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods for $59.99 with free shipping.
Tom

5010.png
pDSP1-7235295p275w.jpg
Edited by TOM BUCKLEY

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

They had me at "cup holders"!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

They had me at "cup holders"!

:)

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

Green metal dolly with plastic milk crate and painters pails and a bunch of bungee cords. This version has air filled rubber wheels. Have hauled out 300 to 400 pounds of rock at times from the field. Wouldn't leave home without it.

For small fossils, you can use a nail/canvas bag. It's what I put shark teeth and small bones in. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I also use the little altoid tins. I cut soft felt and line the tin as an extra precaution. A little glue and the felt stays right in. No jingling and wondering if they will be damaged. The best problem to have is finding a tooth that is too big to fit, or having to wish I brought more tins!

For shark teeth I like to use a fly fishing vest. They have many different size pockets for. I will put bone in one pocket, teeth in another,ray plates in another, shells in..... Well you get the point and there are still pockets left over for snacks or small tools( pocket knife).

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

• 2 weeks later...