Lake Bridgeport Pennsylvanian Help

gturner333

I found these while going though some matrix from the FM2952/FM1658 intersection at Lake Bridgeport. The one I refer to as spines look a little like a thorn, but have a more fossil-like consistency when I crush them. The other two may or may not be related, but look so much alike that I put them in the same picture. Any ideas? And thanks in advance for the help.

Gary

post-11358-0-34221700-1375051421_thumb.jpg

post-11358-0-07549700-1375051463_thumb.jpg

post-11358-0-48818000-1375051465_thumb.jpg

post-11358-0-93103900-1375051467_thumb.jpg

post-11358-0-89795300-1375051470_thumb.jpg

The ones with the whorls look like the gastropod "Meekospira sp."

The some of the others look like possible partial cladodont shark teeth ? or genial spines of Ditomopyge.

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

have a more fossil-like consistency when I crush them.

Gary

Crush them?? Ok Gary I'm calling the paleo police :)

It's a clear case of "fossil abuse".

Oh please don't call the "heat," Bob, I have over a dozen and sacrificed just one to see if it was plant or fossil. There have been several objects that look like a fossil but turned out to be a seed or something else more modern.

I checked out the genal spines and it looks like a good match. I have also found a few trilobite pygidium in this stuff, but they were small.

One of the others does look like a Meekospira stuck in matrix. There have been quite a few found here. I'm not sure about the other. Think it may be a crinoid spine?

I'll be starting my HR fossil diversity class tomorrow:(