Hmmm

JessieHall

In this and the other 2 recent posts ...

The camera lens is too close to the object, causing the picture to be

too out of focus for these old eyes to see details needed for identification.

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

I agree. Although the color looks better than some of your previous pics, I can't make out the details...

I see the shape you are referring too. Just without detail one could only speculate as to what it is. If you want a definite ID, you need to get better pictures. Do you know anyone that can lend you a decent camera?

would be easier sending someone my way... these contain fossils.

Might want to find a geology teacher at a local school or university

which might be willing to discuss the geology of the area you're hunting

and shapes in the rocks you're finding.

MAPS Fossil Show

We know you're doing the best you can with what you have, but we honestly can't do much with these fuzzy pictures.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Jessie

There’s nothing wrong with the camera you’re using. The file information on your pictures says it’s a Sanyo VPC-S880 with an 8 megapixel sensor so there’s no reason why it won’t deliver great pictures. But, under normal circumstances, it won’t focus at distances below 16 inches. However, it has a “macro” mode for close-ups which will let you focus down to 4 inches. Set the “focus-mode” to the icon that looks like a flower. The camera has also a 3x optical zoom, so use that as a way of getting closer rather than holding the camera closer to the subject.

Your pictures generally show the camera is operating at or close to its maximum aperture of f2.9. That’s also not great for sharpness. Get more light onto the subject (outside on a sunny day if you can) and you’ll get the benefit of a smaller aperture and better sharpness. Also, some of your pictures have been taken at shutter speeds as low as 1/5 second because of the low light levels. Also terrible for sharpness.

More light will increase the shutter speed and reduce camera shake, but your camera also has an “anti-shake” setting. Set the “scene-mode” to the little hand icon.

Good luck.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Painshill,

This is at the same time very impressive and a little scary. Most ninja-like. :ninja:

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Most cameras today are very capable of taking quality images of fossils.

The top 2 reasons for fuzzy pictures are

1. Inadequate lighting

2. The camera lens was too close to the object.

Taking pictures outside utilizing natural sunlight

is the best ... At least that's been my experience.

I might add ...

We have a "Preview Post" option available where members

can preview the post/image before posting.

MAPS Fossil Show

Jessie,

I agree on needing better pictures and only you can make that happen (sorry, no one is coming to you for this). I also struggle(d) with sharp photos. Bright sunlight will get that f-stop in the right range AND the exposure will be fast enough to not blur. The brightest lamp in your house is not even close to what a sunny day provides. Hopefully you have also figured out the macro mode (look for that flower icon) and can get closer in.

I have no doubt you have some decent fossils to show us and once we get to see good photos we will get on track and can help you with identifications.

ER

Jessie

There’s nothing wrong with the camera you’re using. The file information on your pictures says it’s a Sanyo VPC-S880 with an 8 megapixel sensor so there’s no reason why it won’t deliver great pictures. But, under normal circumstances, it won’t focus at distances below 16 inches. However, it has a “macro” mode for close-ups which will let you focus down to 4 inches. Set the “focus-mode” to the icon that looks like a flower. The camera has also a 3x optical zoom, so use that as a way of getting closer rather than holding the camera closer to the subject.

Your pictures generally show the camera is operating at or close to its maximum aperture of f2.9. That’s also not great for sharpness. Get more light onto the subject (outside on a sunny day if you can) and you’ll get the benefit of a smaller aperture and better sharpness. Also, some of your pictures have been taken at shutter speeds as low as 1/5 second because of the low light levels. Also terrible for sharpness.

More light will increase the shutter speed and reduce camera shake, but your camera also has an “anti-shake” setting. Set the “scene-mode” to the little hand icon.

Good luck.

Whoa dude! You're my new hero! :meg dance:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I can't quite tell from the photo, but I believe I see some bryozoa below the larger object.

I didn't want to put my pics on facebook. ppl would think im nuts.. I do have sevral fossils though in the hundreds ... im tired of dealing with my photos not uploading on this site . I will set something up on my account and post the link later when I get a friend over here but if I get tossed in the looney bin for hunting fossils and not haulin hay or milkin Betsey ..the weight will be on ur shoulders

unfortunately I couldn't be both . I had to choose between best fossil hunter in the world or best photographer....what do u think I chose

Jessie

When post please spell out words instead of using texting & social networking abbreviations.

We have members around the world who are not familiar and use translators.

Thank You

MAPS Fossil Show

unfortunately I couldn't be both . I had to choose between best fossil hunter in the world or best photographer....what do u think I chose

I have been following your posts and really don't know what to think about you. You had a chance by listening and learn from some experts, that I envy, their knowledge about fossils and photography, is outstanding. I think you are wasting peoples time and energy by replying to your post. I hope you have a good day, maybe we haven't deserved your great talent in the field of being the best fossil hunter-----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Oh geesh. You were kindly given simple directions on how to take better photos. I believe it involved pushing 2 or 3 options on your camera, and which ones to adjust were described to you. And you are the best fossil hunter in the world??? Really? Instead of being so self absorbed take some time to look at some of the advanced members finds on here... Never mind. You won't even know what they are!!!! There are members on here that have studied paleontology, work in museum's, have had NEW SPECIES of fossils named after them! Some have finds that are on displays in museums. You need to get a grip and watch your remarks. By the time you learn how to use your camera not one member may want to open your posts.

At this point, I wish you'd chose 'adequate photographer'...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

At this point, I wish you'd chose 'adequate photographer'...

I'd prefer 'humble' anything at this point.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

I have proof I have fossils and they all come from the same place I believe im on top of a whole ocean scene.. its absolutely beautiful..!!!!! I have vision ..... I could pick out formations in rocks most people couldn't comprehend

im on a whole ocean scene I could show u rock formations that are amazing if u have any vision I don't need experts to tell me anything about how or where to find I need them to tell me what I found but I have a crappy camera and ur site is nearly impossible to attach picture files to because there to large even after cropping. I get aggravated even trying to put a picture on here let alone several so u can see the whole piece... now do these people actually find em themselves or are they on a site and their the ones that found it? theres a difference

Here, allow me ...

I'm on a whole ocean scene. I could show uyou rock formations that are amazing if uyou had any vision. I don't need experts to tell me anything about how or where to find [fossils]. I [don't?] need them to tell me what I have found. (paragraph break)

but I have a crappy camera and your site is nearly impossible to attach picture files to because therethey're too large even after being cropped. I get aggravated even trying to put a picture on here, let alone several so uyou can see the whole piece. ... Now, do these people actually find [fossils] themselves or are they onfrom another site and they're the ones that found itthem? There's a difference between vision and knowledge; however, there's no difference between your posts and trolling. ( <- This sentence was incomplete. I finished it for you.)

... you're welcome. :)

-- Terry Pratchett

Archived