Are These Crinoid Plates?

galaxy777

Please excuse my lack of knowledge yet on many types of fossils, but are these Crinoid plates?

These were found (in abundance) in Post oak creek and Choctaw creek in Grayson Co. Texas.

I think it is from the Woodbine group, but please correct me on which group or formation of a group if I'm wrong. I'm still wet behind the ears on formations.

I really need to get that geography book.. :mellow:

post-12130-0-94989300-1375210427_thumb.jpg

post-12130-0-25283300-1375210462_thumb.jpg

post-12130-0-28825600-1375210496_thumb.jpg

post-12130-0-69762600-1375210540_thumb.jpg

post-12130-0-88109200-1375210603_thumb.jpg

post-12130-0-18296000-1375210619_thumb.jpg

I don't see any signs of crinoids in these. I am sure someone here will let you know for sure.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

That formation is way too young for crinoids, you have a mineral formation. Maybe some more verse in them can give you an answer. Have hunted both creeks, some nice fossils can be found there, bet it's hot this time of the year----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Your specimens are not crinoid plates, they most likely are pieces and fragments of inoceramid bivalve shells. The fibrous structure is characteristic. Crinoid plates are made of calcium carbonate, and fracture to reveal flat crystal cleavage plane surfaces. Also, crinoid plates are more-or-less hexagonal; even if broken you can see that they are fragments of hexagons. Innoceramids were often very large, flat shells that readily break into a myriad of irregularly shaped pieces. Also some of your photos (the second one in particular) show encrusting oysters that commonly grew on the larger inoceramids.

Don

Thank you FossilDawg for identifying these things. It makes sense, considering I never found any crinoid stems too.

I wonder what they would look like tumbled?

Also the geology of those creeks is not Woodbine. You are looking at a mixture of Lower Austin Group and Upper Eagle Ford Group sediments all mixed up in there. The Woodbine outcrops further to the west of where you were most probably collecting.

Thank you Vertman for clarifying what formation's I'm looking in. I'm still clueless on the geography.

That's the Eagle Ford Formation in Upper Cretaceous for y'all non-Texans:)

The ones with flanges look like broken pieces of septarian nodules which can be found in Post Oak Cr.

That's the Eagle Ford Formation in Upper Cretaceous for y'all non-Texans:)The ones with flanges look like broken pieces of septarian nodules which can be found in Post Oak Cr.

I think photo two and six are Pseudoperna congesta. They are small oysters that would cover inoceramids. Very classic Austin Chalk (Upper Cretaceous) fossils.

What Don says. :D

Crinoids were not real common in the Cretaceous.

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I think photo two and six are Pseudoperna congesta. They are small oysters that would cover inoceramids. Very classic Austin Chalk (Upper Cretaceous) fossils.

I agree after opening the pic for a good look, thanks.

Thank you all for helping me to identify these clam pieces and the oysters that covered them; plus the formations they are in.

Yes, I have come across quite a few septarian nodule's along Post Oak and Choctaw creek. I bought several home for my rock garden. :)