Your Kid's Best Finds

Uncle Siphuncle

My new avatar shows a Menabites ammonite my 6 year old son Weston found last month while rummaging some piles of Pecan Gap Chalk (72 MYA) with his Old Man. While exploiting spalls and cracks with his hammer on his second block of chalk for the day, out popped this ammonite, his best to date at nearly 8 inches diameter. He has found a few nice Dakoticancer crabs and Striatocostatum gastropods too in area Maastrichtian sediments. What have your kids been finding?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Do grandsons count? They like going with me when they can and have found alot of different shells, a few teeth and some bone frags. They boys are 5 and 9 years old. When I get to hunt with them all is right with the world.

When I get to hunt with them all is right with the world.

That's how I feel about having my daughter along. She's not little like yours, but I remember those days. To me she's still my lil baby. I'll have to find a pic of her best find and post later.

I appreciate these days just as much though although she has limited time to get out. She's a fastpitch softball pitcher dedicated year round, so any free time she has is usually either doing homework or icing her shoulder for her next tournament.

Here she is both in the paleoworld and her softball niche:

kid.jpg

pitch1.jpg

In the first pic, it started pouring down rain and it was winter time too, very cold. I had her wearing so many layers she complained about looking like that kid in the movie The Christmas Story that couldn't put his arms down.

Kevin Wilson

That's how I feel about having my daughter along. She's not little like yours, but I remember those days. To me she's still my lil baby. I'll have to find a pic of her best find and post later.

I appreciate these days just as much though although she has limited time to get out. She's a fastpitch softball pitcher dedicated year round, so any free time she has is usually either doing homework or icing her shoulder for her next tournament.

Here she is both in the paleoworld and her softball niche:

kid.jpg

pitch1.jpg

In the first pic, it started pouring down rain and it was winter time too, very cold. I had her wearing so many layers she complained about looking like that kid in the movie The Christmas Story that couldn't put his arms down.

Now that looks one happy young lady. Beautiful smile.

Hey Dan,

I'm not sure that it is the best, but the most recent was just a few weeks ago out smacking the San Antonio Cretaceous limestone my oldest managed to cleanly extract this 3" cephalopod (please feel fee to provide an ID).

Brian

post-526-1228511832_thumb.jpg

post-526-1228512171_thumb.jpg

post-526-1228512193_thumb.jpg

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

To name just a few of the specimens which better mine, that my sons have found.

Billy, one of the two sons, that occasionally collect with me, found the Striatolamia macrota tooth in my avatar, at Bracklesham Bay. He also found some nice London Clay crabs Zanthopsis leachi and Glyphithyreus wetherelli and a partial Mammoth tooth (not London Clay).

The other one, Adam, found a nice 1/2 Echinocorys scutata in chalk. The interior was lined with calcite crystals, one to each of the plates that make up the test. He also opened up a vug in the wall of quarry lined with relatively large, honey coloured, calcite crystals.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Mine have been finding sharks teeth and bone fragments, their first are in the pic below

Jess got the one on the lower right about 4 oclock, Thomas found the broke meg @9 and Sammie found the seashell cast at the top, Those are their firsts,

004.jpg

Cool Thread by the way, and who said they needed kids? I got a loaner program lol

i've already posted too many of tj's meager, paltry, insignificant, space-wasting finds, so i'm passing on this one. wish he'd find a job or a rich girlfriend or a winning lottery ticket, not necessarily in that order. mainly he just finds some sort of tractor beam that locks onto my wallet...

Hello all. Here's my very soon to be 7year old with her best find, a nice mako tooth. The other pic is of her collection, she's very good at finding the small stuff. She can ID a wide variety of fossils now. Great topic! :D

Dan

post-148-1228519563_thumb.jpg post-148-1228519572_thumb.jpg

i've already posted too many of tj's meager, paltry, insignificant, space-wasting finds, so i'm passing on this one. wish he'd find a job or a rich girlfriend or a winning lottery ticket, not necessarily in that order. mainly he just finds some sort of tractor beam that locks onto my wallet...

A note to Forum newcomers:

The above is just a manifestation of stage-4 sour grapes; nothing to worry about.

Move along now, nothing to see here! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hello all. Here's my very soon to be 7year old with her best find, a nice mako tooth. The other pic is of her collection, she's very good at finding the small stuff. She can ID a wide variety of fossils now. Great topic! :D

Dan

post-148-1228519563_thumb.jpg post-148-1228519572_thumb.jpg

Now that is one precious young lady you have there!!!!!!!!!!

I'll let you know tomorrow. My 7 year old and I are going to Summerville, SC.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

i like this thread. kids are cool.

hey auspex, please continue to explain as many of my posts as possible because i can't do it and tj's at the movies with other wallet tractors at the moment, so he's unable to rebut. HEY, i just realized i can go fondle all his fossils! <lurk>

oh, at the moment i'm dehydrating some of them with ethanol that have been soaking for a month or so in water to get the salt out. i got this bright idea from here

tj has on at least one previous occasion referred to my "creative garret" as a "mad scientist's lab".

..at the moment i'm dehydrating some of them with ethanol that have been soaking for a month or so in water to get the salt out. i got this bright idea from here

That is a terrific link! It should be posted under its own topic.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus
oh, at the moment i'm dehydrating some of them with ethanol...

One of my favorite past times... not them, but me!!!

The best thing the grand kids found was me.

old as dirt

lived with the dinosaurs

that's why I know so much?? :D

Hey Brian

Please post a bigger image of that ammonite. Did it come from the Austin Chalk or the Anacacho? I'm trying to see if it is a complete whorl of a planispiral ammonite like Pachydiscus or a single whorl of a heteromorph, like Bostrychoceras. Either way, good find.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

post-310-1228777450_thumb.jpg

post-310-1228777401_thumb.jpg

As fare as I'm concerded Grand KIds count. The two photos are of the monsters I call grand kids, with Grama on their fisrt bone hunting trip a few years back

The Boy founf just about one of everything, you would find at a Micro site, from small a carnosaur tooth, Myledaphus teeth Hardosaur vert. Back then they eyes where closer to the ground, now he is over six feet tall. The girl found out it was just a littel to cold out. Kids are great to take out fossil hunting, they seem to listen a little better then big people. :D

• 1 month later...

According to my son, this is his best find to date. This tooth came from Summerville, SC, yesterday. It is presumably from the Chandler Bridge formation. He immediately asked me to post it for him. He's been dying for me to put his teeth on the Fossil Forum.

post-757-1232490305_thumb.jpg

He calls it a meg but the cusps lead me to believe it is one of the other Carcharocles species.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Hey Dan, great thread. I have no idea how I missed this one? And yeah, grand kids should count. Im not a grandfather yet, but I dont think its too far away? Anyways, my youngest son was 19 when he found this fregin beauty!!! I hopefully will be prepping it out this spring sometime? When he found it, the guy who took us there said, "you know this is worth more than your automobile dont you"? Yeah, money is nice, but this will never be sold, and the best thing about it was all the excitment and the wonderful times we had!!!!

RB

post-171-1232492186_thumb.jpg

Archived