Your Kid's Best Finds

Uncle Siphuncle

Hey Dan, great thread. I have no idea how I missed this one? And yeah, grand kids should count. Im not a grandfather yet, but I dont think its too far away? Anyways, my youngest son was 19 when he found this fregin beauty!!! I hopefully will be prepping it out this spring sometime? When he found it, the guy who took us there said, "you know this is worth more than your automobile dont you"? Yeah, money is nice, but this will never be sold, and the best thing about it was all the excitment and the wonderful times we had!!!!

RB

great shot! but I must say it looks bigger and a whole lot better in person

wow. hawkeye, tell your kiddo the tooth is awesome.

rjb - you have an obligation to take a quality close-up of that nodule and upload it, immediately if not sooner.

Yes bonedigger dude, You are one of the very few who have seen this beauty in person, BUT, just wait till this spring sometime when I get all the extra rock cut off and then put in the gruling hours of prep to bring out the ABSOLUTE FIRE!!!!!!! in this thing. What most folks dont understand is, this ammo is not crushed in any shape or form!!!! Just SUPER FABUOUS!!!! For myself, I cant wait! Just need the prep time. There is some shell missing on a 5 inch square area, but we saved lots of shell material to save that area and rebuild it. Its gunna be a $20,000.00 ammo for cryin out loud!!! Now you tell me, If you found this with your son on a trip of a lifetime, would you be able to sell it? i dont think so fella.

RB

great shot! but I must say it looks bigger and a whole lot better in person

Great thread, and great finds everyone! RJB, where did your son find that? Is that all ammolite? :faint:

I don't have any kids either. But I'm sure one day they'll go hunting with me. Right now I'm trying to get the girlfriend to become more interested in fossils. She leans more towards the gems and mineral side of things though. Hopefully our kids will get a double barrel; Palentology and Geology :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

good decision, i definitely wouldnt sell it. probably buy some special fault with forty three and a half locks on it and laser beams and make people pay twenty grand just to SEE it. just spittin out ideas here.. :D oh and phoenix, you might wanna reconsider that kids thing. they could end up having hawk eyes like me, and run ahead of you at every fossil locality, picking up the good stuff before you have a chance to say "MINE!" just a word of warning..

post-1082-1232516559_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1232516580_thumb.jpg

Cierra, my daughter found the tooth which is remarkably small and the crystallized septarian nodules last weekend. she also found 2 of these snail fossils. Unfortunately we had to leave one behind.

post-1082-1232516653_thumb.jpg

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

phoenix -

pay no attention to the words of weirdom from "tj", which stands for "teen junksaver". what he doesn't realize yet, is that for several years, he's been picking up really good stuff and asking me what it is and i tell him it's junk and he throws it back down and i pick it up when he's not looking and keep it. i have a highly valuable collection of stuff scammed from him - nodules with gold doubloons in them, paleocarcharadotodus teeth, etc. he found a twenty-pound block of ambergris and i told him it was "whale snot" and he wouldn't get near it. ended up netting me twenty 6" primo megalodon teeth in a trade with a guy who's addicted to ambergris. yeah, it's really, really great to have kids. go for it.

Yes bonedigger dude, You are one of the very few who have seen this beauty in person, BUT, just wait till this spring sometime when I get all the extra rock cut off and then put in the gruling hours of prep to bring out the ABSOLUTE FIRE!!!!!!! in this thing. What most folks dont understand is, this ammo is not crushed in any shape or form!!!! Just SUPER FABUOUS!!!! For myself, I cant wait! Just need the prep time. There is some shell missing on a 5 inch square area, but we saved lots of shell material to save that area and rebuild it. Its gunna be a $20,000.00 ammo for cryin out loud!!! Now you tell me, If you found this with your son on a trip of a lifetime, would you be able to sell it? i dont think so fella.

RB

Nope, no bloody way could I sell that beauty!! And I'm sure super ammo dude would be a little peeved if you did. You'll have to throw an ammonite coming out party when she's all done :D

Hey Bonedigger dude. Here is one I dont think you saw when you were here, and this one is already packed up and going to Quartzite. All I need is to find someone who loves ammo's and has a bunch of money burning a hole in his/her pocket. The good thing is, If i do sell it, it will pay for the next few trips, the sad thing is, there is no color on the smaller part, therefor cutting the price in half to about 15 dollars. Ha!!!

RB

Nope, no bloody way could I sell that beauty!! And I'm sure super ammo dude would be a little peeved if you did. You'll have to throw an ammonite coming out party when she's all done :D

post-171-1232558794_thumb.jpg

post-171-1232558844_thumb.jpg

phoenix -

pay no attention to the words of weirdom from "tj", which stands for "teen junksaver". what he doesn't realize yet, is that for several years, he's been picking up really good stuff and asking me what it is and i tell him it's junk and he throws it back down and i pick it up when he's not looking and keep it. i have a highly valuable collection of stuff scammed from him - nodules with gold doubloons in them, paleocarcharadotodus teeth, etc. he found a twenty-pound block of ambergris and i told him it was "whale snot" and he wouldn't get near it. ended up netting me twenty 6" primo megalodon teeth in a trade with a guy who's addicted to ambergris. yeah, it's really, really great to have kids. go for it.

Ambergris, for twenty 6" megs or are you just pulling my leg? Well at least I learned something new. Eww, really?

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Hey Bonedigger dude. Here is one I dont think you saw when you were here, and this one is already packed up and going to Quartzite. All I need is to find someone who loves ammo's and has a bunch of money burning a hole in his/her pocket. The good thing is, If i do sell it, it will pay for the next few trips, the sad thing is, there is no color on the smaller part, therefor cutting the price in half to about 15 dollars. Ha!!!

RB

OOOOOH my god! What a spectacular flippin ammonite! How big is it, it's hard to tell in the pic! Are you sure you want to sell that baby!

Great thread here. I wish I could post some pics of my little girls finds, but she just cut her first tooth last week (she's 7 months old) so she is a few years away from doing some collecting. Although, she has already been out with me in the field in her little back pack thing. She is a real trooper. I just hope she stays that way! Being outdoors with your friends is fantastic, and I am sure it is even better with your kids. I can't wait.

Great stuff by all of your kids, thanks for sharing.

Guest bmorefossil
Hey Dan, great thread. I have no idea how I missed this one? And yeah, grand kids should count. Im not a grandfather yet, but I dont think its too far away? Anyways, my youngest son was 19 when he found this fregin beauty!!! I hopefully will be prepping it out this spring sometime? When he found it, the guy who took us there said, "you know this is worth more than your automobile dont you"? Yeah, money is nice, but this will never be sold, and the best thing about it was all the excitment and the wonderful times we had!!!!

RB

wow would you look at that!!! how did you move that thing? must have been 300lbs?

Guest bmorefossil
Great thread here. I wish I could post some pics of my little girls finds, but she just cut her first tooth last week (she's 7 months old) so she is a few years away from doing some collecting. Although, she has already been out with me in the field in her little back pack thing. She is a real trooper. I just hope she stays that way! Being outdoors with your friends is fantastic, and I am sure it is even better with your kids. I can't wait.

Great stuff by all of your kids, thanks for sharing.

haha well i am behind you, I dont have kids yet, im sure your little girl will be finding fossils in no time (=

wait...i want that ammonite...come back, ammonite man, come back...

oh, what the heck. anyway, no, phoenix, i never, ever kid about anything, really, never...probably...

post-1082-1232516559_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1232516580_thumb.jpg

Cierra, my daughter found the tooth which is remarkably small and the crystallized septarian nodules last weekend. she also found 2 of these snail fossils. Unfortunately we had to leave one behind.

I love the little tooth. Snail is really cool too.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....