Suspected Brain Cast

John K

Hello all - it's been a while...

my kids and I just got back from a quick trip to Montana to dig with an old friend of mine around Forsythe and Glendive. I mostly let my kids do the exploring and digging; I was there to haul water, tools and specimens, and keep them from getting lost out in the badlands! They had a ton of fun and found lots of nice stuff: ammonites, clams, oysters and such.

We did some digging in the Bear Paw shhale south of Glendive, and one of the things I actually found was this little guy - I'm pretty positive that it's a brain cast:

gallery_1995_1754_43715.jpg

arbitrary "top"

gallery_1995_1754_512602.jpg

arbitrary "bottom"

I shoved it in my pocket without really looking at it (I thought at first it might be two little nautaloids stuck togeather) and didn't really look at until I got home. What got my attention was the specimens symentry; it's a mirror of itself left and right. Looking through my modest selection of books, I'm guessing it's mammal, that got transported from the top of the bluff to the layer we were seaching for ammonites in.

Any guesses on what it is beyond that? I've uploaded more photos to my gallery http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/album/1754-2013-montana/

• I found this Informative 2

Reminds me of a fossil Hyperostosic bone (Tilly bone) Link

These are found most often in Florida but are known from around the world.

Many bring "brain cast" to mind ... but they are a Hyperostosic bone (Tilly bone)

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Thanks Indy, that looks promising, but I'm not so sure. This is definetly a cast; the cast material looks to be a very fine grain sediment - the red bits in the crevices appear to be the only bone.

But I had not thought of it being fish material - I'll look into that some more, too.

Given its size, I'm thinking that, if it is a brain endocast, it has to be a fish - way to small for any of the dinosaurs or other reptiles known from the Bearpaw. But the Bearpaw has a lot of fish, and, if I remember, lungfish especially.

• I found this Informative 1

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Yes, I should have said that I agree, it is most likely a Tilly bone -

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

A dissenting observation:

There appears to be a thin layer of bone-like material adhering to a stony nucleus. If I am interpreting this correctly, then a cranium/endocast is a possibility, and a hyperostotic bone (soild by nature) is not.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Bone frequently is still attached to fossil Tilly bones.

You can see bone in the example posted earlier ... Link

By the way ... All the examples on the above website

are true fossils ... None are modern Tilly bones.

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Well, I don't want to beat a dead horse, or come off as a "human brain fossil" crack pot, but I did some (figurative) digging and found this:

http://pterosaur-net.blogspot.com/2012_04_01_archive.html

figures f, g and h very, very closly match the specimen I found; some would say exactly ;)

anhanguera santanae in this case, though I'm satisfied to go with just pterosaur

Witmer+et+al.+2003+-+endocasts.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Bone frequently is still attached to fossil Tilly bones....

My point is that Tilly bones are solid bone, maybe with small voids, but decidedly not hollow.

This object's construction, at least by these pictures, bears a strong resemblance to the sediment-filled bird craniums in my collection. I do not propose that it is necessarily avian, but what appears to be an adherent layer of bone is very thin.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

It looks a bit infilled in places with mineral replacement to me. I vote natural head endocast..

What a beauty!! To what it belongs to have no idea.. I would not rule out fish at this point..

I didn't see a mention of what size the images are of a pterosaur headcase would be but

I would think larger although I don't know.. How exciting!

Welcome to the forum!

What age is this from?

Late Campanian/Early Maastrichtian.

Here's what I'm on about:

post-423-0-99561200-1375290498_thumb.jpg

Here's what I'm on about:

attachicon.gif~.JPG

Yes, I see the area now you are talking about..

John, is there any way you could get a real closeup of the area?

Welcome to the forum!

Another possibility comes to mind, and might bear consideration:

Could this be an ammonite section, and we are looking at the contours of a septum?

post-423-0-15739600-1375359560_thumb.jpg

I don't think it's ammonite. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that is a headcase of something..

Just my thinking on this.. Thanks for the closeups, John.. Most

of any bone would be inside if it fossilizes the same way of fish heads. Maybe it's time to

send out some images to begin to rule things out.. I

will PM you a contact and see if we can narrow this down..

Welcome to the forum!

I felt the same way Auspex did when I first saw it. I definitely get a bony-"shell"-plus-matrix-fill feel from this thing.

I don't think it's ammonite. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that is a headcase of something..

Just my thinking on this.. Thanks for the closeups, John.. Most

of any bone would be inside if it fossilizes the same way of fish heads. Maybe it's time to

send out some images to begin to rule things out as that would help rule things out.. I

will PM you a contact and see if we can narrow this down..

I like to introduce "comparison/contrast" speculation to discussions where "great claims" are at stake. Being fairly familiar with in-filled bird crania, I risk that this ID is tenuous, having not explored other considerations.

well, I've sent images to a couple different profesional contacts (thanks Roz), and I'll be showing the actual specimen to my friend and former teacher, paleontologist Dr. Mike Middleton (UW River Falls) when he gets back in 3 weeks. I'll report back when/what I find out more. This is very exciting!

Exciting it is; meaty stuff!