Ipswichian Mammal Bone ?

DE&i

Hi everyone,

I went for a stroll around one of the gravel pits where i live , this particular pit i found had a lot off Upper Jurassic clay in the bottom of the pit which was overlain by Ipswichian gravel.

This is the fragmented bone i found not sure if it is from a mammal....the red line indicates its 5 inches in length and about a quarter of an inch at its thickest point.

Sorry about the poor quality of the photo the light was fading when i came out of the pit....would anyone know what part of the animal it might be . My first thought was perhaps a bird but im not so sure.

Regards,

Darren.

post-10585-0-00094800-1375307504_thumb.jpg

post-10585-0-95837700-1375307505_thumb.jpg

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

The only avian skeletal element with morphology that approaches this is the keel of the sternum, and the assumed attachment point (where it is broken) is wrong, in that the whole would be far too big for any carinate bird. I think we need to look elsewhere in the vertebrate family tree.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

At first glance, I thought the coronoid process of a mandible, but again, way to big for any ungulate. If I had to guess, I'd guess a fragment of pelvis of something. I'm pretty sure it is mammal.

Highly unlikely to be a sloth claw in England.

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

• 2 weeks later...

What would the possibilities of this being human....i kind off feel a bit stupid for asking this question , especially as I haven't offered some more photos as yet. A friend of mine has took it to our local musuem , how about perhaps part of a human eye socket or cheek bone.

Darren.

Edited by D&E

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Human bone has a different look and feel than any other mammal bone, even including the other great apes. This piece just doesn't have the look of human bone.

Rich

• 1 month later...

This is an example of the part (break point in red) of an avian sternum it resembles:

post-423-0-88589200-1379279674_thumb.jpg

I think it unlikely for a couple reasons:

The carinal apex is among the least ossified skeletal elements in a bird, and does not often preserve.

It would have been an impossibly huge sternum.

I am eager to be proven wrong, though!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree with Auspex - it would have to have been from a really large bird, and it just doesn't look "birdy" to me. I think it more likely to be the coronoid process of an ungulate. It most resembles the coronoid of a suid, but that is a very variable part of the mandible, and it may not be identifiable beyond ungulate.

Rich