Some Plants From Spain

txemiku

Hi people!!

I have checking the forum in the last days and i just realize a lot of topics with wonderful fossil plants from France and Ukraine. I want to include also some Spanish plants that i collected last october. I hope you like the pictures.

PS: any ID will be nice!!

post-269-1228506717_thumb.jpg

post-269-1228506746_thumb.jpg

post-269-1228506763_thumb.jpg

post-269-1228506787_thumb.jpg

Hi people!!

I have checking the forum in the last days and i just realize a lot of topics with wonderful fossil plants from France and Ukraine. I want to include also some Spanish plants that i collected last october. I hope you like the pictures.

PS: any ID will be nice!!

Hi, txemiku, very nice ferns and annularia specimens. I'm not very good in ID, but think that first is alethopteris, sec - annularia (calamite), third - looks like sphenopteris. And you have very good lepidodendron branch specimen (last pic). Congrats!

Is background behind you a section of formations?

Roman

Hi, txemiku, very nice ferns and annularia specimens. I'm not very good in ID, but think that first is alethopteris, sec - annularia (calamite), third - looks like sphenopteris. And you have very good lepidodendron branch specimen (last pic). Congrats!

Is background behind you a section of formations?

Roman

Yes that is the section where i was collecting the fossils. It is part of an old open coal mine which is not in exploitation anymore. The area is really full of fern remains but good specimens are not so common. The branch was still larger but it was breaking in small pieces and it was not possible to reconstruct.

Yes that is the section where i was collecting the fossils. It is part of an old open coal mine which is not in exploitation anymore. The area is really full of fern remains but good specimens are not so common. The branch was still larger but it was breaking in small pieces and it was not possible to reconstruct.

Thanks, most of our mines are very deep (more then 1000 m), so I can discover only crashed pieces. <_<

Wonderful fossils!

I am glad that we have some "plant people" on board; It is an area (among many) that I need to learn. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

hmm, i just thought of something. it would be interesting to collect fossils from known depths in coal mines, and try to get one from the deepest location possible.

hmm, i just thought of something. it would be interesting to collect fossils from known depths in coal mines, and try to get one from the deepest location possible.

That would be "Extreme Collecting". The deepest Coal Mine in the world is over 5000 feet below the ground in the UK. There is a mine in Alabama, which is the deepest vertical shaft coalmine in North America, with operations at 2,140 feet beneath the surface.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

so are there fossils down there? how far down do fossils go? i mean, i know there's fossils in china...

so are there fossils down there?

I don't see why not; shallow mines were probably that deep at one time, and there are fossils in them.

Thank you for your comments people!!!!

In this area ( Leon, NE Spain) there are also some underground mines but the quality of the coal (anthracite) is very good for using as a energy source but in the other hand is bad for fossil preservation. Usually the best quality fossils appear in the bad quality coal layers which are usually not interesting to the coal industry. Unfortunately one of the best slag heap has been totally cover with debris from a marble factory.

hello, I am a French collector in very advanced coal plants I seek a species that is found in Spain, Asturias I think you could get information about this case and eventually told me where I can acquire (purchase award),

your plants are aesthetically beautiful, the lepidodendron measure combines high, it is spectacular .. I think callipteridium recognize is the level Stefanian in spain ....

Best regards

bruno

hello, I am a French collector in very advanced coal plants I seek a species that is found in Spain, Asturias I think you could get information about this case and eventually told me where I can acquire (purchase award),

your plants are aesthetically beautiful, the lepidodendron measure combines high, it is spectacular .. I think callipteridium recognize is the level Stefanian in spain ....

Best regards

bruno

I have just realized I did not mention the name of this plant, omphalophloios anglicus .....

That would be "Extreme Collecting". The deepest Coal Mine in the world is over 5000 feet below the ground in the UK. There is a mine in Alabama, which is the deepest vertical shaft coalmine in North America, with operations at 2,140 feet beneath the surface.

Information for the deepest mine in my region was of "Clarence" near the town of Bruay in the Department of Pas de Calais, deep 1186 meters ,closed in 1955.....

bruno

I have just realized I did not mention the name of this plant, omphalophloios anglicus .....

Hello Bruno, thank you very much for the comment. I am basically a trilobites collectors and my plant collection is pretty scarce. I collected those fossils in Leon North Spain during a excursion last october. I have a very good friend who has pretty nice plants from that area and i will try to speak with him to know if he has the specie that you are interested in.

Greetings, Jose