Great Finds At Hungry Hollow July 31, 2013

lmacfadden

Spent 4 wonderful hours in the North and South Pit of Hungry Hollow with some new friends!

Found a wonderful blastoid (my first) - it is 5/8" long! I hope the photo does it justice. I need some practice!!

Also found some new brachiopods I did not have before... several pretty crinoid sections, most of a trilobite, some great coral sections and some ammonites. Oh, and a nice button coral!

Tim found a beautiful crinoid feather star.. not too sure what it is called. It was at least 3" long and 3" wide... I would include a photo here but it's not mine to publish so hopefully he will publish one!

It's always great to spend time hunting fossils with people who appreciate them and the patience it takes to find them!

I can't wait to get back out there!

post-11011-0-47488800-1375399047_thumb.jpg

post-11011-0-07201600-1375399066_thumb.jpg

post-11011-0-05696500-1375399089_thumb.jpg

~Lise MacFadden - Arkona, Ontario, Canada

What great variety. Very cool. Excellent presentation of your finds. Looking forward to what you find next.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

What a great variety of invertebrates. The preservation is exquisite. Yes, something neat about blastoids...almost shaped like fancy royal objects. However my favourite is your Microcyclus rugosa coral (just above the trilobite in second photo). I've rarely found them in Devonian deposits. They can get overlooked if mistaken for Crinoids segments.

Some very good finds I'd say! I love blastoids .Good pics too! I hope he posts that feather star..

I'm not sure what that is but can't wait to see.

Welcome to the forum!

The image of the 'pile' made me smile out loud :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You've been pretty quiet lately Lise, nice to see you're still getting out. Congrats on your first blastoid

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

You've been pretty quiet lately Lise, nice to see you're still getting out. Congrats on your first blastoid

Thanks Kevin! You know how summer goes... it gets HOT out here in the pits so I have other hobbies I like to pursue until the weather cools down again. It's funny, Tim (Blastoid) had been talking about blastoids he and others had found in the past so I guess my eyes were kind of zero'd in on them and wouldn't you know it, there it was, and a beauty at that! I'm pretty sure I said "OMG" out loud.

The image of the 'pile' made me smile out loud :)

That's so awesome Auspex! Thanks.

Some very good finds I'd say! I love blastoids .Good pics too! I hope he posts that feather star..

I'm not sure what that is but can't wait to see.

Thank you Roz!

What a great variety of invertebrates. The preservation is exquisite. Yes, something neat about blastoids...almost shaped like fancy royal objects. However my favourite is your Microcyclus rugosa coral (just above the trilobite in second photo). I've rarely found them in Devonian deposits. They can get overlooked if mistaken for Crinoids segments.

Thanks so much Northstar! It's also one of my favorites to find! I usually find at least one microcyclus every time I visit the South Pit! We had the advantage of the recent rain, so often you'll find them sitting on their little pedestals just begging for you to find them!

Thanks Kevin! You know how summer goes... it gets HOT out here in the pits so I have other hobbies I like to pursue until the weather cools down again. It's funny, Tim (Blastoid) had been talking about blastoids he and others had found in the past so I guess my eyes were kind of zero'd in on them and wouldn't you know it, there it was, and a beauty at that! I'm pretty sure I said "OMG" out loud.

Now I know which Tim you meant. He was the one who first took me to the pits several years ago

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Now I know which Tim you meant. He was the one who first took me to the pits several years ago

That's awesome. Tim was extremely helpful and knowledgeable - it always helps us newbies to have a smart guide along!

That's a nice haul! Nothing like that around here, congrats!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

That's a nice haul! Nothing like that around here, congrats!

Thanks CH4ShotCaller - we're blessed to have this treasure so close to us. Most people would see it as a mud hole but when you put your eyes down to the ground, it just comes to life so-to-speak. I find it exciting to know that I could be seconds away from finding something beautiful that waited millions of years just for me to uncover it!

• I found this Informative 1

That stuff is so varied and well preserved.

So true! We've had a lot of rain and I would guess not so many fossil hunters because of the heat, so there are some great specimens exposed on the hills. The rain tends to "polish" them a bit so you can find them a little easier. You just can't go home empty handed!

Wow amazing finds! I love the blastoid and that brachiopod is phenomenal! Congrats!

Thanks MakoMeCrazy. I never get tired of finding brachiopods!

Beautiful stuff.. Color me jealous!

Thank you TNGray! I'm very fortunate to live just a few minutes away from Hungry Hollow!

I have a question about the blastoid. Did you find it with all the other stuff, that is, in the Hungry Hollow formation or did you find it in the mud of the Arkona shale. To me it look like an Arkona shale blastoid which would be EXTREMELY rare. Is it a brownish color or is it a gray to black in color.

crinus

Edited by crinus

I have a question about the blastoid. Did you find it with all the other stuff, that is, in the Hungry Hollow formation or did you find it in the mud of the Arkona shale. To me it look like an Arkona shale blastoid which would be EXTREMELY rare. Is it a brownish color or is it a gray to black in color.

crinus

I found the blastoid in a different spot than all the other stuff. I believe I was in the bottom of the Hungry Hollow formation but that could have been the top of the Arkona Shale. I'm not exactly sure where the formations begin and end. Tim (Blastoid) was there and may be able to confirm exactly what formation I was in. It was about 1/3 of the way up the hill, in the South pit, on the South side. It was on the surface so it could have rolled down from the Hungry Hollow formation. The colour I would say is grey to black.

Very interesting finds and beautifull preservation. Greets Marcel

Thank you Marcel!