Reptile Head Fossil

Mathewhepplewhite

Michael Farrady pushed his agenda to the brink, on electromagnetism, and eventually he lost his mind and forgot everything. Turns out he was right however, and the world has not been the same since. I suggest you let it go, and when that rugby game is over, get out on the walkabout and find your young family some real fossils. Your kids deserve it. Just be careful please.

Cole~

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher

I would not even dignify this rock with the label "pseudofossil". A pseudofossil is something that looks like an actual fossil, not something that looks like an actual animal. These such things are what I would call "imaginary fossils". They bear the same relationship to a real fossil that a cloud formation bears to a living animal.

I think the key to this thread, and to many others, is clearly stated above. When people are totally unfamiliar with fossils and fossilization, they look at the rocks and are trying to match whole organisms that they are familiar with, in the flesh, to what they see. So, these things shouldn't really be called pseudo fossils, because that implies they resemble real fossils. I guess I can't think of a term to describe this that is any better than the term "imaginary fossils".

This (and similar threads) are an educational stroll 'round the learning curve; the value to curious neophytes can be great.

As long as TFF's community standards are not violated, they serve a good purpose!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think the first phase of fossil discovery is whole animals preserved.

Then people start to understand they are looking for pieces, so the next step in the learning process is rocks that are shaped like real fossils.

Then the next step is they actually find a real fossil.

I discovered fossils when I was 10, in a library book. It was just line drawings of some brachiopods. Since I didn't know anything else existed, I only looked for brachiopods. I wonder how many other fossils I walked right past? :D

• 4 years later...

Hi, I know this is an old post but that sir is the head of a snake. it is a type of fossil, it happens through per-mineralization. I have found a horned snake head that was only thought to be wholly mythological and I had never of heard of horned snake and only found one in a depiction from southeastern United States Native American Indians. You’ll be surprised at how much geology is actually biology.

Edited by Chandylands

1 hour ago, Chandylands said:

Hi, I know this is an old post but that sir is the head of a snake. it is a type of fossil, it happens through per-mineralization. I have found a horned snake head that was only thought to be wholly mythological and I had never of heard of horned snake and only found one in a depiction from southeastern United States Native American Indians. You’ll be surprised at how much geology is actually biology.

@Chandylands  No Sir, that is not the fossil head of a snake.  Nor will any amount of belief turn it into one.

A sidewinder rattlesnake is a "horned snake" that has been known for a thousands of years.  I'm not sure what kind of "snake head" you've found, but I would be surprised if it is part of a fossil snake.  Please start a new topic in the Fossil ID forum and share your discovery.

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• JohnJ locked this topic