Meteor Fragments

Mathewhepplewhite

I have found a large amount of rocks that are strongly attracted to my neodymium magnets. Could this be from iron ore in the rock or does it mean it is a meteor?

There are several types of rock that are attracted to magnets. Typically, it is the result of their iron content. If you could post a sharp, clear photo, then some of our meteorite collectors could offer their advice.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Attraction to a magnet is not diagnostic proof, in fact in the majority of people who think they have a meteorite don't. I discovered this the hard way when I brought a burnt looking rock that was very heavy and also attracted a magnet into my college geology professor who immediately recognized it as a common type of terrestrial rock. NOT saying that you don't have one, but don't get your hopes up. ;)

I've heard it said by people who professionally identify meteorites that they see 1,000 meteor-wrongs for every meteorite.

Please post some pictures. That will allow us to say something besides "maybe, but probably not".

Archived