• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Carol

Carol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

Bringing a small group from the Memphis Archaeological and Geological Society in a few weeks.  Would appreciate some help in finding several sites we could access the river near Paris or Ladonia that have a good possibility for finding stuff.  We've never checked out the North Sulphur River and would love to do it.

#2 mikecable

mikecable

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Awards

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

Check this website for the river level for the North Sulphur River
http://water.weather...1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

This river gauge is at the Hwy 24 bridge area. 

This river is known for rising very fast if there is rain to the north or west.  And this river can be hard to get out of quickly if you are in the wrong place.  Keep an eye on the weather, and if the water starts rising get out immediately.

If you search the forums for North Sulphur you'll find a number of posts about access.  The easiest entry point for a group is probably the Ladonia Fossil Park--

Ladonia Fossil Park is a project of the City of Ladonia, Texas and is located two miles north of downtown Ladonia on Highway 34 north and west of the bridge spanning North Sulphur River. The park sits on the bank of the vast river channel and provides an entrance into hunting grounds that have yielded a variety of fossils from the Cretaceous and Pleistocene Periods. The river banks and river bed provides fossil enthusiasts with surface area exceeding a thousand acres for hunting. 

The channelized riverbed, dry most of the time, stretches a distance of about ten miles to the west of and ten miles to the east of Ladonia Fossil Park and is open year round for fossil hunting. The bed is approximately 300 feet wide and 80 feet deep. Cretaceous fossils including mosasaurs and plesiosaurs are found in the bed while Pleistocene fossils including mastodons and mammoths are found in the banks. Of particular interest to serious fossil hunters are red bed outcroppings. 

This is the famous stone stairway from Land of the Giants.  It is definitely not handicapped accessible.

#3 Foshunter

Foshunter

Member of the Month 11/12; VFOTM 07/13

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Awards

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

Carol,

I would suggest staying away from Ladonia as it is the most hunted so pickings would be very slim.  My friend just returned from a trip to Texas and hunted the 19/24 bridge from Paris.  He found a ton of geodes that are filled with crystals and a few fossils. My best bet for some succes would be Hwy 904 bridge east of Ladonia or the Hwy 38 bridge south of Roxton.  Keep in mind that getting in the river is steep, no stairs and sometimes a lot of slipping on the old backside and slidding in.  The river has had a tremendous amount of publicity so it has a lot of hunting pressure not like the good ole days that I hunted for some 25 years.  Take plenty of water, cool type clothes, a good walking stick, ski pools work great ,a good backpack, etc. This time of the year it is going to be hot, the river is deep, the evaporating water creates high humidity and most of the time a breeze of any kind is few and far between. Awesome fossild are still to be had, post your finds, we can help with ID's. If you would like search my galleries for Sulphur finds through the years.

Good Hunting

Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

#4 Fruitbat

Fruitbat

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

Tom...the river is deep?  In all the years that I've hunted the North Sulpher...with the exception of during the middle of a flash flood...I've never seen the Sulphur River with any places deeper than a couple of feet (and that actually feels pretty darned good in the middle of August when you're trying to plod your way along the river with virtually no shade).  The Hwy. 24 bridge has ALWAYS been productive for me...even if I only walk away with a couple of excellent Exogyra shells.

Carol...when are you coming this way?  Who  knows...we might even be able to get a few of the local Fossil Forum members to meet up with you if we have a little advanced notice.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

#5 Auspex

Auspex

Member of the Month 08/08

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,030 posts

Awards

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

Tom...the river is deep?...

I think he means that the riverbed is deep, with steep-deep banks.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about."
-Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

#6 Fruitbat

Fruitbat

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Ah...that would make much more sense!

-Joe

#7 Foshunter

Foshunter

Member of the Month 11/12; VFOTM 07/13

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Awards

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

Carol,

Forgot to mention, folks will be searching from gravel bar to the next, most likely there will be shallow water between bars.  Take extra shoes and socks for when the day is over, a muddy car might not be on your most desired list----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

#8 Carol

Carol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

Joe,

Our group will be fossil hunting in the area Labor Day weekend.  Some of our people are interested in North Sulphur River.  Our planned date for going there (for those who are interested) is Labor Day, September 2.  We thought Ladonia would be the best for us because of the steps, but if we can find a safe, somewhat easy entry to the river somewhere else that would be wonderful.

Thanks, everyone, for your help,

Carol

#9 Katfish61

Katfish61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

Carol, when my husband and I went I had trouble with the steps. I had to go down backward like a child and back up, only with his help. There is a mesh wash next to it, I found it easier to use. Watch for snakes if it it grown tall with weeds. Maybe the others can let you now of a better entry, have fun. :)

Edited by Katfish61, 22 August 2013 - 08:24 AM.

Kathy

#10 BobWill

BobWill

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

Carol, a recent post by PaleoTerra in "Fossil Hunts" has some suggestions about different North Sulphur River access points and recent trips that may help. I will probably come along to whichever place y'all decide on. I haven't been to most of the places on your "options" list for a long time. Bob

#11 Fruitbat

Fruitbat

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

Hmmmm....Labor Day weekend, huh?  I might even be able to drag my old, decrepit butt out to the Sulphur River that weekend.  It has been a couple of years since I've been in that area.  Is there anything in particular (fossil-wise) that the members of your group are looking for?

-Joe

Edited by Fruitbat, 23 August 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#12 Carol

Carol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for all replies.  My group is most interested in Ammonites, Joe.  We will have a wonderful guide but any help would be good since all places are on private property.  Thanks Bob, I will ck out the place you mentioned.  We are getting ready to come your way.  Very excited about the possibilities. The North Sulfur River is a good extra.

Carol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users