Sign in to follow this  
FossilDudeCO

New To Colorado

FossilDudeCO

Hey all, I am new to fossil hunting out here in Colorado, I see that no one has posted on this forum in over a year but hey ill give it a shot!

I am curious if there are any sites someone would be willing to show me to help me out. drop me a line and we can go hunt sometime, I'm out of school for another week and a half!

Best wishes,

Sully

JohnJ

Welcome to The Forum.

fenixsmom

You can go to the BLM offices and buy a BLM map. You can Hunt on any blm areas as long as there isn't a posting that says: no fossil / no rock gathering... (not a quote but you get the jist.) You need a permit to excavate vertabrae animals, you can gather arrowheads, Pottery shards, petrified wood (Max 250, lbs a day) a 5 gal bucket of rocks a day. You ate allowed plants, invertebrate, I do believe fish. If you dig a hole/pit, you refill. They recommend that you take pictures a.d leave the fossil behind, but I really doubt anyone does. You must ask permission from private land owners and no national forest, reservations, or established parks. Again, talk to the BLM extension office closest to you. Endless information!

Traviscounty

I just moved here also, and although winter is approaching, I would go out on a trip whenever? I got a gold pan too. I'm in Littleton.

fenixsmom

Welcome Travis! Hit up the rivers along the hogback and through the passes. If you can make it north go to bear creek & Clear Creekfor some fresh panning! The floods had to have knocked some gold out of the hillside! Make sure to check blm for rules.

FossilDudeCO

Hey! haven't checked this post in a while thanks for bringing it back to life! Totally down for trips, I'm open Thursdays-Sundays if you want to send me a message, would love to get one more in before the winter hits too hard!