Sign in to follow this  
redleaf101

Cape Breton (Sydney Mines, Donkin - July 2013)

redleaf101

Taken from my blogpost http://redleafz.blogspot.ca/2013/08/cape-breton-sydney-mines-donkin-july.html

I had planned to head back to Cape Breton in the Summer of 2013. I set aside a few days during my first week of vacation in July to head back over there. I decided to go during the week, leaving on a Tuesday to avoid the weekend touristic rush. My plans were to spend some time looking at rock, but to also do the touristy thing and visit some of the local interests, such as the French Fortress of Louisbourg.

From Moncton to Sydney is a bit over 5 hours of driving by car. After a few stops along the way, I arrived at the hotel at about mid afternoon. I booked my room that I had reserved in advance, dropped my stuff, and jetted out to the beach for a little afternoon stroll to check out some rocks before turning in for the night.

1.JPG

Point Aconi, Cape Breton

I headed out to a spot I had already gone last year to check for rocks. Point Aconi is well known for its Carboniferous fossils, having coal seams cross that area, leading to economy based on that product, with several mines tapping throughout an extensive period of time.

3.JPG

Going down the beach was tricky as you had to walk over thick layers of smelly, rotting seaweed. Once on the sand, the rest of the walk was practically easy. When I reached the point, the beach was littered with shale fragments all over the place. There weren't many fragments larger than the size of my hand.

2.JPG

Fossil bearing shale

4.JPG

The shale that comes out of these cliffs are rich in fossils. There's barely any piece of rock that you would grab that didn't have something on it. The tides surely did some good work, grinding these rocks to tiny bits. Still, there was some pretty ones, albeit not numerous.

5.JPG

Annularia

6.JPG

After spending some time picking at rocks, I headed back to town for supper and to relax a bit. The city of Sydney is nice, especially with all the beaches and rocks surrounding it. I called it the day and turned in early.

The next morning I took a drive to Sydney Mines, north of Sydney, to check out the Cape Breton Fossil Museum where I met Stuart and Jim, the gentlemen responsible for this beautiful interpretation center. We had a good chat on everything related to rocks and Cape Breton, and happily went about checking their fossils on display. The quality of their collection is quite good and a must for anybody visiting Cape Breton. After my stroll in the center, I said my goodbyes and proceeded south towards Louisbourg.

** If you want to see the Louisbourg visit, go check my post where I post a few pics of my walk down history here: http://redleafz.blogspot.ca/2013/08/cape-breton-sydney-mines-donkin-july.html

When I was done with my stroll in the park, I decided to do some more rock hunting before heading back for a long drive home. From Louisbourg I drove up north towards Donkin to check out the rocks.

25.JPG

It was hard not to walk over rock that didn't have any fossils on it. The cliff erodes at a pretty good rate, and thick slabs of rock dropped on the beach have nice plants on it.

26.JPG

27.JPG

28.JPG

29.JPG

30.JPG

31.JPG

32.JPG

33.JPG

34.JPG

35.JPG

The fossils in this area are very nice and numerous. I ended up staying a bit later then I expected and managed to twist my ankle by stepping in a stupid gopher hole. Limping back to the car, I left a little bit after 7pm and got back home at around 1am. Quite a drive, but it is one of the things I enjoy the most when I'm out there. It was a good trip and another item to scratch off my list of the year. I'd say it ended up being a good kickstart to my Summer.

Cheers!

- Keenan

Auspex

The concentration of fossil richness there is mind-boggling!

redleaf101

And amazingly so well preserved!

Fossildude19

Fantastic report and finds.

Thank you for showing me a place I may never get to.

Regards,

Plantguy

Hi Kennan, what a great post with scenery rocks and more great plants! I especially like the big straplike Cordaites samples. I dont know about crossing that one off my list for the year....I'd want to go back again very soon!

Sorry to hear about the ankle injury...hope you are mending well. Regards, Chris

Lloyd

I've traded for some stuff from there over the years. I really need to get up there to collect some for myself....

redleaf101

Sydney/Donkin area is nice. Cheticamp/Port Hood is next on my list of sites in Cape Breton =P