Well Articulated But What Is It?

hitekmastr

My wife found this very well articulated fossil that looks like a bivalve internal - found in the Tully formation (Devonian) in central New York. Would appreciate help with an I.D. This piece is very striking and is going on display in my office.

post-8709-0-54417300-1376278346_thumb.jpg post-8709-0-17998100-1376278355_thumb.jpg

This is how it looks in my office, on the shelf - as you can see, it's a large piece and very artistic:

post-8709-0-79584000-1376327455_thumb.jpg

Edited by hitekmastr

I found a couple species of Grammysioidea that look very similar. Fig. 12 is G. subarcuata and Fig. 13 is G. arcuata. There are other Grammysioidea that also look close and this monograph should get you pointed in the right direction. Congrats on a textbook example!

Linsley, D.M. (1994)

Devonian Paleontology of New York.

Paleontological Research Institute, 472 pp.

Grammysioidea.jpg

PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks for the ID and especially for the book reference - this is really helpful since this is our "Devonian year." Last year was mostly a "Carboniferous year." I'll post a trip report soon - it was remarkable what we were able to find in just a day and a half, everything from trilobites to crinoid pinnules, and some interesting bryozoa and shells - as well as more Devonian trees that was our primary goal. We were on the lookout for really unusual specimens and were really focused, which paid off as you can see. This bivalve is on a one foot long piece of shale and makes a wonderful display piece, also. The detail is really incredible - as you say, "textbook quality."

Edited by hitekmastr

Flat-out gorgeous :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!