Did I Just Make A Huge Mistake Buying A Keichousaurus

SmallYeti

Wow, I feel so bad for this lady who canceled her purchase too soon. It's pretty easy to see her's was an authentic Keichousar. And most are. They are locally common yet they are such an impressive looking fossil. I'm sure many who are unfamiliar with them think it's too good to be true and miss the opportunity.

Im really sad that she cancelled her purchase too quickly on the advise of one or two people in this forum who were quick to be prejudice. 

It is not illegal to sell keichousars. As some members have pointed out, "they are relatively common and of little scientific value" . It's too bad that a small percentage of fake ones exist because, most are real, and it's not that hard to tell if you are familiar with them. Hers even showed that halo-like layering of light and dark sediment that is common on many of them. It's an unfortunate result of the grinding to expose the fossil from the hard matrix. It's common problem with the rock keichousars are found in. They are an impressive fossil to have for a relatively good price. Especially as a gift. I was so deeply saddened to begin reading this thread. I had to read it till the end. And create an account just to add my comment and support the other supporters. I think that's why this thread keeps going. It's a sad story. I almost feel like sending her one. It's just sad to read. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Ginkgojerry said:

Wow, I feel so bad for this lady who canceled her purchase too soon. It's pretty easy to see her's was an authentic Keichousar. And most are. They are locally common yet they are such an impressive looking fossil. I'm sure many who are unfamiliar with them think it's too good to be true and miss the opportunity.

Im really sad that she cancelled her purchase too quickly on the advise of one or two people in this forum who were quick to be prejudice. 

It is not illegal to sell keichousars. As some members have pointed out, "they are relatively common and of little scientific value" . It's too bad that a small percentage of fake ones exist because, most are real, and it's not that hard to tell if you are familiar with them. Hers even showed that halo-like layering of light and dark sediment that is common on many of them. It's an unfortunate result of the grinding to expose the fossil from the hard matrix. It's common problem with the rock keichousars are found in. They are an impressive fossil to have for a relatively good price. Especially as a gift. I was so deeply saddened to begin reading this thread. I had to read it till the end. And create an account just to add my comment and support the other supporters. I think that's why this thread keeps going. It's a sad story. I almost feel like sending her one. It's just sad to read. 

I agree with you completely. Maybe this thread should even be pegged in order to teach us a lesson. Welcome to the forum and thank you for your insight.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 2/2/2018 at 5:38 AM, Ginkgojerry said:

Bang on. I felt so sorry for her, and for her husband. I'd definitely put my hand in my pocket to donate towards getting them a keichousaur, but it looks like she hasn't been back for five years. It's a cautionary tale about listening to opinions expressed without supporting evidence.

Obviously nobody here acted maliciously, they were just mistaken, but I think we could all (myself included) be a bit more cautious in jumping to conclusions at times.

• Fossildude19 pinned this topic