Id For Tooth/claw Found On New Zealand Beach

Penzel

I found this piece on the beach at Pauanui in New Zealand.

I have no clue what it is. I've very curious about it for a while now and decided to try and find out what it is. Needless to say I am new to this!

Tried looking up all sorts of things to find a photo of something similar but have come up with nothing. Help would be much appreciated!

post-12824-0-27538600-1376372884_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-96589500-1376372888_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-38288600-1376372894_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-09364100-1376372899_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-48663000-1376372905_thumb.jpg

Don't think it is ether a tooth or a claw and looks like a recent bone worn by the sea, but i cant identify it. good luck.

I agree with Dave. The bone looks modern.

To me it looks like part of a back bone or vertebra from something. Looks like a spinous process, in the 3rd picture from the top it looks like you can see the spinal canal - the hole through which the spinal cord passes.

The radial pattern in the second picture reminds me of the pattern you see on mammal vertebrae when the epiphysis (a vertebral "cookie") comes off.

Interesting looking thing - I would have picked it up for a look too.

Edited by Doctor Mud

I agree that it is a neural spine from a vertebra, probably from a young/juvenile animal due to the pattern that Dr Mud described. The two pointy bits look to be the prezygopophyses. I would look up a list of marine mammals from the area and google some images of the skeletons to see if you get a match (my bet is a Thoracic vertebra from a seal ^_^ ). Nice find!

I don't think it is mammal; it looks like fish, perhaps something in the jack family. It also could possibly be a haemal arch rather than a neural, but I don't know fish very well.

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".