preston b

Fossils In Independence County Arkansas

preston b

Hey folks i live in batesville ar and there is a geologic formation of black and gray shale exposed here called the moorfield shelf I've got a location I've been going too and there is plenty if shale exposed. there along with what i believe to be a carboniferous era sandstone I've found a cephalapod and horn coral in the sandstone but the shale has not been too productive though I've heard the moorfield shelf has had at least 87 different species. discovered in it there even called moorfieldelia... so my issue i suppose is maybe i don't know exactley what I'm looking for...but anyways can anyone tell me anything. about the shelf?

;

Fossildude19

Hello,

Have you downloaded and read through these?

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

They may prove helpful.

Hope they help you.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Fossildude19

Also, some good search results HERE and HERE.

The best way to learn about these formations (Short of knowing someone who already hunts the area and learning directly from them) is to read everything you can about them - they will help to clue you in as to where and how to look for things.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Auspex

Fossiliciousness (in my mind a technical term) is not necessarily distributed evenly throughout a given formation; indeed, there may be wide swaths which are barren or nearly so; varying local depositional and/or preservational environments and such. Sample from higher, lower, and laterally; you may strike the lode. :)

preston b

Wow! I had no idea there was this wealth of information on my area here.. thank you very much

Carson

Have you looked for fossils in Salado Creek where it crosses Hwy 167? There is an exposure of the Pitkin Limestone. I have collected crinoid stems that are about the size of a roll of quarters.

preston b

Is that the same place where the rest area is? If so then I'm very familiar with the spot but pitkin limestone? Interesting... if its the same spot I'm thinking then thats also where there's an exposure of the moorfield shale its a small hike to the spot though. on a mountainside

Carson

The site I am refering to is north of that rest area, not actually in Salado Creek. I got my creeks mixed up. I am pretty sure the rocks exposed near the reststop are Pennsylvanian age not Missippian which the Moorefield is.

preston b

Al right i know the rocky point quarry i around there as well. so i ll have a big day ahead of me..!

preston b

So maybe I'm getting my geo mixed up..

preston b

Well i went tp the pitkin limestone today and spent a few hrs mulling around i did find some rough negatives of crionoid stems i think...but as i removed the small boulder they were ontop of which weighed roughly 70ibs

..it went flying off the small bluff so i continued my search up top vowing to get the block on my way back to the car

.but for the life of me i couldent find it... so other than that and a possible little something which I'm worried may be a pseudofossil "ill post pictures in the id forum later"... it was a dud day... I'm thinking i may be inexperienced with limestone..any hints anyone?

Carson

The site may have been overcollected.