Canadian: Upper Carboniferous Calamites

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas
Real nice! As the Member of the Month, you should be generous and send each of us a gift specimen :D

Perhaps when I actually get a substantial amount, you must remember Calamites ARE my favorite.

Perhaps when I actually get a substantial amount, you must remember Calamites ARE my favorite.

Hi Nicholas,

the second specimen is superb, it is a photo front and back, the rod has kept a thin film coal ....

bruno

Guest Nicholas
Hi Nicholas,

the second specimen is superb, it is a photo front and back, the rod has kept a thin film coal ....

bruno

Yes front and back, the coal film is hiding a very well preserved side I've been considering removing it... any ideas?

P.S. It really must be good if you think it is superb. :)

Yes front and back, the coal film is hiding a very fell preserved side I've been considering removing it... any ideas?

P.S. It really must be good if you think it is superb. :)

I think you should not removed the film coal is inportant to explain to people that the film is the bark of the plant and that the grey mold is the internal medular cast ,so you must find a solution to preserve the coal ....

Guest Nicholas
I think you should not removed the film coal is inportant to explain to people that the film is the bark of the plant and that the grey mold is the internal medular cast ,so you must find a solution to preserve the coal ....

The coal is actually quite stable, it won't go anywhere without the use of power tools. :)

Guest solius symbiosus

I spent many hours with an engraver trying to removed a layer of coal from a nice Lepidodendron that I found; it was only marginally successful.

Guest Nicholas
I spent many hours with an engraver trying to removed a layer of coal from a nice Lepidodendron that I found; it was only marginally successful.

I did the same with another sample of mine, It turned out well because the fossil was first ironized then carbonized so it left a nice orange color which defined the small fossil well.

Guest solius symbiosus

I guess mine came out ok(shows very nice detail), but there were still small pieces of the coal attached. This was years ago, and I researched everything trying to find a way to remove the remaining coal(even consulting a PhD Coal Geologist)... to no luck. I finally concluded that I would have to spray the piece with a mist of water and freeze, then repeat multiple times.

Guest Nicholas
I guess mine came out ok(shows very nice detail), but there were still small pieces of the coal attached. This was years ago, and I researched everything trying to find a way to remove the remaining coal(even consulting a PhD Coal Geologist)... to no luck. I finally concluded that I would have to spray the piece with a mist of water and freeze, then repeat multiple times.

I asked a chemist, and a few other people with no luck. It almost impossible to remove. The one I did isn't perfect but it it presents well for just a fragment.

Just pitch it into the fireplace :P

Actually, baking it in a fast oven might de-link some of the carbon.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!