Just Got Another Goodie

Auspex

I couldn't pass this one up (even though it needs further prep). It's the major portion of a Miocene Penguin skull, from the Formacion Bahia Inglesa in Chile's Atacama Desert. This is called the Huarra Formation, and contains both Miocene and Pliocene deposits, with fossils from the Miocene being dark and in a rock-hard matrix.

I think the Genus is Spheniscus, but the species is "to be determined".

post-423-1228765424_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Is it one of the extinct Penguin species, those guys have always fascinated me.

It's an extinct species of an extant Genus; probably very similar to a big Humbolt Penguin.

I neglected to mention that the skull is just shy of 3 inches from the back to where the bill would begin.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest Nicholas
It's an extinct species of an extant Genus; probably very similar to a big Humbolt Penguin.

I neglected to mention that the skull is just shy of 3 inches from the back to where the bill would begin.

very awesome.

Too bad those GIANT penguin fossils are now illegal to sell. :)

Too bad those GIANT penguin fossils are now illegal to sell. :)

All fossil exports have been banned by the Chilean government; this one is pre-ban.

(I sure do wish it was a giant, though).

Guest Nicholas
All fossil exports have been banned by the Chilean government; this one is pre-ban.

(I sure do wish it was a giant, though).

Sadly its getting that way in Canada to. It isn't an amateurs world any more. *Sniff*

BAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!! :faint: Auspex youve done it again....you ow me a new keyboard....this ones sufficiently drooled out.

that fossil is just wicked!!

thanks for sharing!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

yes it s penguin

it s the name is

SPHENISCUS URBINAI

This is interesting specimen and rare

bye by france

I agree that the Genus is Spheniscus, but I'm not sure about S. urbinai; this skull is 25% too large. S. megaramphus is a candidate; I need to prep it out a little more and dig deep into the research.

Awesome!! Most have gone extinct through global warming.

Be sure and post it when its done.

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17