Indian Artifact

BBBILL66

Hello All,

I found this Indian artifact near a stream bed in Monmouth County, NJ. What stuck me was the perfectly round hole in the top center. The article is made from a very heavy and solid Quartz type of rock. My guess is it was used as a hammer-head, fire lighter or something used to bang or hit with the hand.

Thank you.

post-12891-0-19150000-1376992586_thumb.jpg

post-12891-0-33888100-1376992603_thumb.jpg

post-12891-0-14400900-1376992627_thumb.jpg

The pictures are not the best but I don't see anything that would make me think this was an Indian artifact. I can't tell you why it happens but I have seen lots of rocks with holes very similar to this one in the streams in Monmouth Co. But of course I am no expert.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Not an Indian artifact, holie rock---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Not an Indian artifact, holie rock---Tom

Agreed, just a stone with peculiar attributes.

Jess B.

Note: I am a mentor on an Arrowhead web site.

If you wish, I can send you a link to the site and you can verify with other collectors on your find.

You could make some friends there that just may lead you to some areas that you can find some artifacts.

You are in an area that yields some nice stuff from time to time.

I would love the link to your arrowhead website! I've never found an artifact that I know of, but we are in an area rich with them.

And I find holie rocks all the time too. :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

I'd also be interested in the Arrowhead link. :) My husband takes a more active interest in that area, but I do enjoy them!

The only possible artifact I could see it being is an arrow shaft straightener.

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

If this piece was used as an arrow shaft straightener, the hole would be smooth on the inside and a little more substantial for applying pressure to the wood, this has none of those features----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

This is obviously way too small, but I have seen larger rocks with holes in the used as boat anchors in the Mediterranean. Anyone know if they have been used in North America?

Edited by pinkpantherbeekeeper

Agree. It’s not an artefact.

Arrow straighteners (known as “shaft wrenches”) were almost invariably made from bone or antler and occasionally hard wood. They have one or more drilled holes to accommodate shafts of different thicknesses and a moderate length to get some leverage. Like this:

post-6208-0-88610100-1377373715_thumb.jpg

[Picture from South Dakota Historical Society website]

Arrow smoothers (known as “shaft abraders”) were made from stone – usually a coarse stone like sandstone – and were two-part tools but it’s rare to find both parts together. Both parts had a groove in which the shaft was inserted and they were wrapped round the shaft for use like a sanding block. Here’s one half:

post-6208-0-65831800-1377373732_thumb.jpg

[Picture from CAS Anthropology Collection Database]

Canoe anchors certainly exist as holed stones in Native American contexts but as Pinkpanther says it’s way too small. It might work as a fishing net weight but without context (or evidence of a biconical hole drilled from both sides) it’s just a stone with a hole.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]