Cretaceous Curiosity

truceburner

This strange bit was found (like most of my other finds) in a stream environment in Central Texas. Likely from the Ozan formation. From the end it has a triangular profile, thinning toward the top in these photos. The two largest faces have radial lines from the top. It seems preserved similar to the mosasaur bits I've found, but the triangular shape and radial lines are new to my eyes.

post-7896-0-04276500-1377009404_thumb.jpgpost-7896-0-25218000-1377009401_thumb.jpgpost-7896-0-17906800-1377009399_thumb.jpgpost-7896-0-09592700-1377009397_thumb.jpgpost-7896-0-74372600-1377009394_thumb.jpgpost-7896-0-67066000-1377009391_thumb.jpg

What might this be? Thanks for your time and consideration.

Sorta' turtle-ish, to my eyes.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I thought 'turtle' as well, but I still can't make sense of it. I've never seen a mossy scapula to compare it with - might be time for a trip to the museum. The similarity between the two large flat sides leads me to think this would have been along the centerline of the creature, but I'm guessing at this point. A couple of infilled fossae are visible on one of the flat sides, but they don't appear to run through to the other side.

Would have been a lot more convenient to find the whole thing intact and correctly labeled, but I'll take what I get.

It is a peripheral from a turtle. Most likely a sea turtle.

Rich

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

turtle

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Definitely the outside edge of the bottom plate of a marine turtle. I know because I dug one at a Cretaceous fossil site.