Amber Inclusion

Dianka

Hi everyone,

My daughter just brought this piece of Baltic amber from Poland.

The person that gave it to her said it contains a flea, but somehow it doesn't look like that to me.

Can you help me identify this insect?

Thanks for looking!

post-12767-0-08924000-1377030816_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Dianka

You are right, it is not a flea; it appears to be in the order Diptera (true flies).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree, not a flea. Auspex is right this is a Dipteran, likely one of the midges.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

You are right, it is not a flea; it appears to be in the order Diptera (true flies).

I agree, not a flea. Auspex is right this is a Dipteran, likely one of the midges.

I thought so, thank you! :)

I allso study mostly baltic amber at this time for inclusions, among many other things. I use a stereo microscope to help identify certain specimens.

A stereo microscope is a very usefull tool for micro paleontology, and allso very usefull for larger specimens and general biology work.

If you don`t have an stereo microscope and purchase one you will find out what i`m saying.

I allso study mostly baltic amber at this time for inclusions, among many other things. I use a stereo microscope to help identify certain specimens.

A stereo microscope is a very usefull tool for micro paleontology, and allso very usefull for larger specimens and general biology work.

If you don`t have an stereo microscope and purchase one you will find out what i`m saying.

Hi Rodney

No, I don't have a stereo microscope, but I know you can get much better images with it than with just a camera. Maybe one day I'll get one...

Thanks!