Volitan

Mulbring Quarry (Again)

Volitan

Hi. New member here. I'm a Sydney resident with a long standing interest, but very little local experience, in finding fossils. After receiving contact details for access permission from a fellow forum member, I did a recent trip to Mulbring quarry (about 80 mins north of Sydney). I know there is a lot of information on Mulbring out there so I wont bother repeating it, instead I wanted to ask a questions about some of the fossils I found.

The first shot is what I think is a crinoid stem. It seems to have lateral branches though. Does that mean it is an arm rather then a stem ?

I should probably chip away that piece of bryzoan lying across the end.

The second shot is a brachiopod. This appears to be an internal cast. I'm curious about the regular rows of holes. I'm thinking these could only come about if the shell had spikes sticking inwards from the interior surface of the shell. Sounds painful for the animal inside! Can anyone explain these ?

The last shot is one of the two species of bryzoan I could see. Both are abundant, in fact its impossible to find a piece of rock at this site which doesn't have fossils in it. Is this Fenestella, or has it been reclassified ?

Looking at that last piece, which is about 300mm across, its a wonder someone hasn't dug this stuff up and flogged it in Sydney as 'feature rock' for rock walls or something.

cheers

Arron

post-12761-0-57165800-1377081154_thumb.jpg

post-12761-0-97798300-1377081255_thumb.jpg

post-12761-0-47710600-1377081279_thumb.jpg

Edited by Volitan

Paleoworld-101

Howdy Arron,

Great to see some photos of your finds, and I am glad to hear you got to the quarry OK and had a great time. No one leaves this place empty handed.

That first specimen is definitely Crinoid and to me looks to be an arm rather than a stem. It could be an arm from Tribrachyocrinus etheridgei. Well done!

The brachiopod you found in the second photo is called Echinalosia davidi. To my understanding it was indeed a spiny brachiopod, although I don't know much more about it i'm afraid.

The bryozoans from Mulbring are very abundant as you said and putting a specific species to each specimen Is hard as there are about 10 species altogether! These 10 species are all from either the Fenestella, Polypora and Stenopora genera. Although I tend to give a rough ID based on size. Fenestella seems to be the smallest (by which I mean has very fine branching structure and tiny openings) followed by Polypora and Stenopora which are larger. Your specimen is probably a Polypora but I am not 100% sure.

Funny you should mention the 'feature rock' thing, when I was at Mulbring a week or so ago I grabbed a large slab of bryozoans which is now being displayed in my living room. A good conversation piece I guess. There's a pic of it in the topic I made last week about my fossil hunting trip.

-Nathan

Edited by Paleoworld-101

Fossildude19

Welcome to the Forum.

Nice finds, all.

The holes in the brachiopod are where the spines were attached - going outward from the shell.

Thanks for posting these.

Regards,

Plantguy

Hi Arron, very nice fossils with great detail! Thanks for showing us.

Welcome to the forum from Florida ! Regards, Chris

lissa318

Welcome from Pennsylvania! Looking forward to seeing what else you find! :)

Volitan

Hi I much like the crinoid Stem. I believe it is a stem. I think you are seeing cirri on this stem.

Look here http://crinoids.org/wcrin1.html

Looking at the specimen and the reference you provide, i think it is more likely to be a stem with cirri - it didnt look quite right for an arm.

Many thanks for that.

Arron

Paleoworld-101

Well you learn something new every day- I hadn't even heard of cirri before. Makes a lot more sense now!

Foozil

Truly AWESOME FOSSILS! Cool crinoid!

krinklycritter

Can any one please provide the details of the owners of the fossil site at Mulbring Quarry? I would like to take a class there. many thanks

steele76

Hi, can anyone send me the contact details for Mulbring Quarry. My 8yo son has discovered fossils and we are on holidays near by. Would love to take him to spur his interest on. Thanks

Edited by steele76

Formygirls

Hello all yes im new to this fossil site forum and im a amateur fossil/ mineral collector, as we live near Mulbring quarry about 40 mins away. My kids are on school holidays at the moment and we would like to visit this site next week, we are respectful of the privacy ,of those who own it.Could some one please give me the contact details of owners so we may get permission to visit. I can give details of a great site for Glendonites ,near singleton NSW if anyone is interested they are huge in size and are easy and fun to collect, as they are quite rare, hope to here from someone soon, cheers Steve.

Formygirls

Hi again I would like to thank member Voltin for his quick and kind reply to my email, thanks mate cheers

Jdrudge

Hey,

Could anyone help me with contact details for the landowners of the Mulbring quarry site.
I've got an overseas paleontology post-grad student, who is studying at the University of Wollongong, staying with me this weekend and he wants me to take him there.
Thanks very much,
Jeff

Foozil

Hey,

Could anyone help me with contact details for the landowners of the Mulbring quarry site.
I've got an overseas paleontology post-grad student, who is studying at the University of Wollongong, staying with me this weekend and he wants me to take him there.
Thanks very much,
Jeff

Hey Jeff! PM me and I'll get the info.. Don't have it on me right now.

Bartos Fam

Resurrecting this thread again in hope that someone will see and message me contact details for the quarry owners - would dearly love to visit the site but my timing never seems right to go with a group. 

Thanks

Elena

Oxytropidoceras

Hi,

Below are some publications that concern the Mulbring quarry site

and might interest people.

Fletcher, H.O. 1958. The Permian gastropods of New South

Wales. Records of the Australian Museum 24(10): 115–164,

plates 7–21. [7 October 1958].

https://australianmuseum.net.au/uploads/journals/17402/648_complete.pdf

Percival, I.G. 1979. The geological heritage of New South Wales,

volume 1. Geological Society of Australia, Sydney.

Percival, G., N.S. Meakin, L. Sherwin, T.A. Vanderlaan and P.A.

Flitcroft. 2012. Permian fossils and palaeoenvironments of the

northern Sydney Basin, New South Wales. Quarterly Notes of

the Geological Survey of New South Wales. no. 138, June 2012, 23 pp.

http://www.resourcesandenergy.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/447048/QN138.pdf

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/257927781_Permian_fossils_and_palaeoenvironments_of_the_northern_Sydney_Basin_New_South_Wales

https://www.academia.edu/16890193/Permian_fossils_and_palaeoenvironments_of_the_northern_Sydney_Basin_New_South_Wales

Vanderlaan T.A. 2007. Middle Permian palaeoecology and

depositional environment of the Fenestella Shale member,

Branxton Formation, lower Hunter Valley. B.Sc. Honours thesis,

Macquarie University, Sydney (unpubl.).

Yours,

Paul H.

AFossilHunter

Hello everyone, this is my first post so sorry if I mess it up!

Im am also wondering if there is any way I could get the details of the owners of Mulbring quarry. Thanks you

Dinosaurking

Hi, newbie here.

My 8 yr old son is suddenly into fossil hunting! Hope we can make it to the quarry in the holidays if possible.

Can you please send me the quarry owners contact details?

Thanks a million.