Claw, Two Tusks, And A Molar . . . ?

Fossiholic

Does anyone have any ideas what animals these might be from? They were all found recently on Edisto Beach, where Miocene and Holocene marine fossils are found mixed in with Pleistocene land vertebrate specimens.

I have no idea on the one that appears to be a claw, as it seems to be too straight to be a bear, and too pointed for anything else I could think of. It has no groove on the back, but rather a bit of a ridge, and is otherwise round. BTW, I gave the claw the "bite" test, and it definitely feels more like rock than bone.

If not more specific, I was wanting to know if the molar is indeed from a herbivore, or if it could possibly be a back tooth of a carnivore.

The two tusks(?) appear to be from the same kind of animal, ??

post-12612-0-20886100-1377450274_thumb.jpg

post-12612-0-96576600-1377450279_thumb.jpg

post-12612-0-30832800-1377450291_thumb.jpg

post-12612-0-83303300-1377450299_thumb.jpg

post-12612-0-44122100-1377450309_thumb.jpg

post-12612-0-81840600-1377450318_thumb.jpg

I think this one:

post-423-0-59107500-1377451531_thumb.jpg

may be an antler tine.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

All three of the long pieces appear to be antler to me at first glance - although I suppose the two dark colored ones might me some sort of ribs, like manatee. The tooth in a premolar of some ungulate. Can you measure diretly the length and width?

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Duh . . . antler! Yes, that makes sense totally for the tan one. Funny how my mind got stuck on claw. Of course Antler doesn't hold the same excitement as "giant claw", but I still like my find. lol

I still think the two dark ones look like teeth/tusks of some sort. I was thinking something like beaver or pecarry . . . have seen some close matches. ???

The molar stands about 18mm tall when resting on the root end, and 20mm X 13mm wide across the grinding surface.

Thanks much for the feedback so far.

The dark ones don't look like the dugong ribs common to this area....wrong rate of taper and surface, instead of typical mat black finish is glossy and axially scribed. Also appears to have a pulpy center unlike the very solid center of dugong ribs. Auspex is correct as always, these others are very likely antler tips that show up regularly.

Auspex?? Ahem! That were me. But that's probably just because Auspex didn't want to go out on a limb and voice his suspicions. ;)

They clearly aren't teeth of any kind - they have cancellous bone in the center. There appears to be no marrow cavity, and that accords best with antler or some kinds of ribs. But the sea mammal ribs generally are more pachyostotic, so I still think antler is the most likely. I've seen a lot of fossil antler that looks just like this form of preservation and color.

Edited by RichW9090

...Auspex is correct as always...

I'm happy if, through vague wording, I can maintain a 50/50 average!

Rich is the one with actual knowledge; I just try to keep the discussion moving :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I don't think of it so much as knowlege - that makes it seem like I'm smarter than I really am.

It's more about experience - when you've seen, and handled, as many bones and pieces of bone as I've had the luck to see, something has to sink in, later more so than sooner. Still it's amazing how often I can be wrong.

Rich