My First Trip To The Waco Research Area

PaleoTerra

I finally made it over to Waco Lake this weekend, and I've got to say, it was definitely worth it! Don't worry, I won't go back for awhile...post-6224-0-60409300-1377481927_thumb.jpgpost-6224-0-07939500-1377481951_thumb.jpgpost-6224-0-33218800-1377481969_thumb.jpg

Sorry the up close pics are such bad resolution, these were taken with rather low res cam phone, will try to get better pics of the best stuff tomorrow :)

Is this the Waco Pit site?

Yes, mostly...the oysters and the crab claw came from the spillway below the dam. The spillway, though, is technically off limits as I found out from the park ranger. He wasn't rude but did warn me not to go back down there, which was fine as I was already on my way out when he shouted from the dam to move it!

My secret for collecting this site...I walked through it twice, first in the morning light, and then in the afternoon. The morning light was definitely more productive, as even the smallest material stood out. I actually went in to the pit expecting it to be completely overlooked...trust me, that's not the case. I only collected about half of the fossils I found, most of which was found near the trail. Also, finding an area where lots of debris are sitting on the surface and sitting down will help yield more of the really small stuff.

You certainly picked some fine nano ammonites.

I see some of the scaphite in there as well.

Yes, that is Goniophorus "Scotti". The larger ones are sometimes cataloged as (Lambert) but personally I do not see much difference.

Too bad you did not find any brittlestars.

They are there, and a few other species of stars as well.

(I have stuff that to this day remains unidentified) some just obscure and unique.

I have not been there since before the 9-11 attack.

They keep a wary eye on that dam site more so now than back in the early 90's.

It's amazing how well preserved some of that stuff is "pyrite".

Better store them carefully and protect them from moisture!

Some of them may crumble to dust and poof their gone!

Wonderful stuff just absolutely wonderful.

Oh yeah, and the teeth when you find a really nice one,

it will be a prize to brag about believe me!

(I know what you mean about cheepo cameras)

You buy cheep and that is the results you get.

Gotta wait to get a better one other things are more important.

Jess B.

Wow what an awesome place to hunt! Awesome finds and great variety!

One of my new favorites! I love areas that have a multitude of species in relatively good condition and a large area to search!

Excellent finds!

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

You certainly picked some fine nano ammonites.

I see some of the scaphite in there as well.

Yes, that is Goniophorus "Scotti". The larger ones are sometimes cataloged as (Lambert) but personally I do not see much difference.

Too bad you did not find any brittlestars.

They are there, and a few other species of stars as well.

(I have stuff that to this day remains unidentified) some just obscure and unique.

I have not been there since before the 9-11 attack.

They keep a wary eye on that dam site more so now than back in the early 90's.

It's amazing how well preserved some of that stuff is "pyrite".

Better store them carefully and protect them from moisture!

Some of them may crumble to dust and poof their gone!

Wonderful stuff just absolutely wonderful.

Oh yeah, and the teeth when you find a really nice one,

it will be a prize to brag about believe me!

(I know what you mean about cheepo cameras)

You buy cheep and that is the results you get.

Gotta wait to get a better one other things are more important.

Jess B.

Lol, I was truly trying to wrap my mind around the possibility that I had just driven 3 hours for slim pickins! But after my initial look at the site I could tell it had a lot of potential...if nothing else but it's shear size! And yes, I realized as I was looking at rust spots on the grey matrix that the "pyritized" material was going to be an issue over time....any preservation techniques to suggest? :) Thought about the heat and spray treat... Also, I did find what I thought had to be brittlestar arm frags, which I confirmed with a quick search on Waco subjects on the Forum, but alas, no central discs...

Lol, I was truly trying to wrap my mind around the possibility that I had just driven 3 hours for slim pickins! But after my initial look at the site I could tell it had a lot of potential...if nothing else but it's shear size! And yes, I realized as I was looking at rust spots on the grey matrix that the "pyritized" material was going to be an issue over time....any preservation techniques to suggest? :) Thought about the heat and spray treat... Also, I did find what I thought had to be brittlestar arm frags, which I confirmed with a quick search on Waco subjects on the Forum, but alas, no central discs...

I won't brag about what I have walked out of there with so I'll keep it simple.

Too much to really put into words.

The central disks are one specimen I keep my eyes open for. When you find one look for the arms of course.

You were lucky you hit the place at just the right time.

One of the nicest areas to find turillites with the colorized pyrite preservation, other than the starfish

one of my favorite finds.

The goniophorus are always a welcome find as well.

Preservation may be an issue but keep in mind that any thing that you do will change the appearance.

One of the things I use is a liquid that can be purchased on line or at any ACE Hardware.

It is called PC petrifier (spelling?) it is a dry rot preserver/restorer.

It does work and will keep your specimens from dissolving/crumbling but will change the general appearance.

Best just to store with and use a dessicant unless your specimen is already to the verge of crumbling..

Jess B.

What a mix of neat and beautiful stuff! That looks like an interesting site. Thanks for the report and the pics!

What a mix of neat and beautiful stuff! That looks like an interesting site. Thanks for the report and the pics!

It is amazing that there are still places right off the beaten path where you can give it a day and represent nearly an entire paleo-biota! It's well worth the trip! Seemed like every square foot contained a little "Nice!" or "Wow!" with that Goniophorus, some of the bigger ammonites, and shark teeth eliciting a very giddy "No Way!" lol

Archived