Ray Tooth Id Needed

John Hamilton

Found this ray tooth in Lee Creek matrix. Could it be a pathologic female dasyatis?

post-6248-0-87912200-1377554691_thumb.jpgpost-6248-0-95590700-1377554696_thumb.jpgpost-6248-0-01639100-1377554687_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Hamilton

I think it is a male Dasyatis.

Al,

What do you see that identifies this as a male tooth? I thought male teeth had high cusp and this tooth has a compressed globular crown with a cusp.

Edited by John Hamilton

Male Dasyatis will form pointed teeth during their breeding season and when the breeding season is over they will form teeth that are identicle to female teeth. There are intermediate teeth that are formed before the full breeding dentition is in place. I think your tooth might be this intermediate phase or it could be a worn or deformed breeding male tooth. Here is a comparison. The tooth on the left is female or non breeding male, the tooth on the right is breeding male and I've added your tooth for comparison.

post-2301-0-76146200-1377600126_thumb.jpg

A paper that demonstrates the change in Dasyatis dentition with the seasons is:

Seasonal Dynamics of Dental Sexual Dimorphism in the Atlantic Stingray Dasyatis sabina, Kajuira and Tricas, 1996, The Journal of Experimental Biology 199, 2297-2306.

• I found this Informative 1

Male Dasyatis will form pointed teeth during their breeding season and when the breeding season is over they will form teeth that are identicle to female teeth. There are intermediate teeth that are formed before the full breeding dentition is in place. I think your tooth might be this intermediate phase or it could be a worn or deformed breeding male tooth. Here is a comparison. The tooth on the left is female or non breeding male, the tooth on the right is breeding male and I've added your tooth for comparison.

attachicon.gifdasycomparison.jpg

A paper that demonstrates the change in Dasyatis dentition with the seasons is:

Seasonal Dynamics of Dental Sexual Dimorphism in the Atlantic Stingray Dasyatis sabina, Kajuira and Tricas, 1996, The Journal of Experimental Biology 199, 2297-2306.

After reading this paper I concur with your identification. Thanks for the help.

Thank you for the reference. I didn't know that the pointed male teeth were seasonal. I have a lot of what I thought were female teeth that might really be male teeth. Doing a little research on the web there are several on going studies looking at other rays and some sharks to see if the males also have breeding seasonal teeth. Now I wonder if fossil Raja male teeth or Rhinobatos male teeth with the pointed crowns were only seasonal. Have you come across any articles about them?

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png